Why are these Saints so darn good? (1 Viewer)

Why are the Saints so Darn Good?

• Overall Offensive Play

Votes: 38 23.2%
  • Overall Defensive Play

Votes: 64 39.0%
  • Special Teams Play (ie Field Position)

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Offseason Acquisitions (ie Free Agents signed)

Votes: 44 26.8%
  • Offensive play calling (mixing Run vs. Pass)

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • Defensive play calling (blitz vs zone/man coverage)

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • Overall Team Unity (humbleness and unselfishness)

Votes: 82 50.0%
  • Other...Please post your suggestion and reason

Votes: 22 13.4%

• Total voters
Roman Harper's neck has remained awesome
Shockey's hydration problems apparently solved
Payton has very little left to clean up (except ST!)
No one needs astronaut diapers anymore
Finesse OL? Are you kidding?
Sharper
Greer
Colston

LOL, Roman may be grey by the time he's 30. I wouldn't complain, Roman, at least you've still got your hair. And your neck, well, it's gonna be awesome for a long, long time. If we can just get you to cover a little better, you're set.

Yeah, you need an "all of the above". At first you want to say D because a slightly improved D last year could have given us another win or 2 at least. But we overachieved on D with our key acquisitions. We didn't need to be as good as we are to make a difference but we're better than we could have hoped for.

But it's not like our offense is stagnant. It's not only as good, it's BETTER, too! I'm no longer scared to see a ball go Devery's way. He WILL catch it.

ST is our only shaky area. I'm no longer, whatever you do, don't kick a FG, but I still wince. And honestly, I think most everyone feels like our best bet is to go for the TD because of the problem that has been. Luckily, that's been working for us anyway.

Probably the biggest intangible is just that they've allowed themselves to think Superbowl. I think that whole "let's bury our past success and don't eat the cheese" mindset achieved the exact opposite result of what it was meant to. I get what coach Payton was going for; but in hindsight, it was wrong. Especially when you see a lot of other less talented teams freely talking Superbowl, why should we go allowed to say the words. Is it not the goal? Why let it be unnamed?

Bourbon Street gives you a huge home field advantage when the other team partakes of the festivities lol. J/K. I think the fact that you upgraded your Oline and defense gives your team the balance of not having any weak spots per se. Your not dominant in every area but you're not weak in any area either and you have a few areas where your flat out impressive. Overall real deal type of team. The only thing that may hold you bvack from a Super Bowl appearance is injuries and lack of playoff experience for the new blood. I think you have to be a ffavorite for 2011 SB but the 2010 SB may be tough to reach, though you should make it too conference championship. Still you have as good a shot as any at this stage and may be able to overcome the playoff experience like the Cardinals did last year. Reality is injuries tend to determine who mkaes it at the end of the year. The best team isnt always in the SB

I picked "offseason acquisitions," because I'm including the additions of both Sean Payton and Drew Brees in that. without BOTH of them, this would be a very average (if not below average) team.

an argument could be made that our success is really a product of Payton's schemes, but without Brees those schemes wouldn't be nearly as impressive. I also believe that while Brees would make any team good, it's only with Payton's schemes that Brees can be truly great.

Clearly you could also throw in the addition of Williams, but that's a product of Payton too.

LOL...Is it me or is he getting a lot of gray hair. Gregg must really be riding him pretty hard...

(PS. Gregg keep it up. It is working)

I asked Roman Harper at Training camp at Milsaps in 2007 what was up with the gray hair and he said he has been having it since about 16 or 17 years old. Then he jokingly said it's a sign of wisdom.

Last edited:
If Sharper keeps playing like he has, then we'll have 2 safeties with gray hair.

the team was always good on offense and when Brees played excellently, they dominated. It was just when Brees struggled, the team couldnt run the ball to take pressure off him or defend against quick scoring attacks. now they are able to do that and it preserves a lead.

Also missing from the list is our vast improvement as fans. We've built up to enduring unwashed jerseys, yelling louder, and being more constructive and positive on the forums. Ask some of the ESPN guys, we only beat the Giants because of our fans at home. It's not the players or coaches that have done it, it's us, finally.

overall defense, free agent acquisitions, and defensive play calling... the O would have been just as good, the team is better because of those changes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom