Why are we paying Nick Easton (1 Viewer)

The team does not care you are acquired. Only what you show on the practice field and on the field. He’s clearly not as good as those ahead of him. No team gets every draft pick and free agent signing correct.

We paid Easton because Unger retired and left us needing to make sure we had someone that could play center before the draft. Then we got McCoy in the draft and we didn't need Easton at center and he's not better than Peat or Warford at guard. He was inactive because they weren't counting on an injury and they probably don't think Easton would be effective as Clapp is on the outside as an extra lineman (for whatever reason, could be they just don't he's athletic enough for the blocks an extra lineman is typically asked to make). Obviously Clapp completely wetting the bed when called upon at guard could change that.

He got paid big money for more than half a season to basically be a member of the PS. If Peat misses time he will suit up for the first time. I am honestly flabbergasted by this, I thought he was decent, I expected more. Kinda just want to see what he's got.
Peat is hobbled every season. Same old.

He’s only making $2.5M this year and he can be cut after this season with only $1.5M in dead money. His contract looks big but only $4M of it was guaranteed (his signing bonus and 2019 salary of $2M).

He’s essentially on a 1-year/$4M deal.
Yep. He was cheap insurance for the center position in case we did not get one in the draft. We chose wisely.

Well I have a feeling this is the last season he'll be hobbled in the B&G.
I think you are right in your assessment, draft position versus production is too far apart. We are basically not getting what we expected for a guy drafted in the top 20 of a draft. What sucks for this year is the dropoff when he is out is tremendous. Clapp shouldn't be on the field even in a backup role which is saying alot...and no one has seen Easton play lol. So were stuck praying Peat stays healthy unless Easton comes in and surprises everyone which is doubtful.

Speaking of Peat: Has the team said anything about his injury and how long?

Because FA happens before the draft
Tired of this explanation, and I said so the day we signed the guy. Just because we needed a center and hadn't drafted one yet, didn't make Easton the answer. He was average at his best, and well below average at his worst. You don't sign positions; you sign players. With or without McCoy, Easton is who he is. If he couldn't even beat out Clapp, he wasn't the answer. Wasted money and I'm sure he'll be cut at the start of next offseason when it's feasible.

We are paying him b/c our O-line gets decimated late in the season and it will be better to have healthy depth on the team then having to sign a street FA in the second half of the season. Sure, he might have signed to be the C, but that all changed when McCoy got drafted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom