Why are we paying Nick Easton (2 Viewers)

He’s only making $2.5M this year and he can be cut after this season with only $1.5M in dead money. His contract looks big but only $4M of it was guaranteed (his signing bonus and 2019 salary of $2M).

He’s essentially on a 1-year/$4M deal.
Which again begs the question..why not cut him and help with he comp pick formula? My only guess is its bc servicable olineman are extremely hard to find.

If Tom is ready, bring him back. There is some weird rule that he would have to practice for 2 weeks before playing, correct? We certainly miss Kelemete. Offensive linemen starting to get hurt coincided with the declining success of the team as a whole last season, and it's concerning that history seems to be repeating itself.

Because we didn't know we would get McCoy in the draft but we did know Clapp ain't a starter.

Players that are released don’t count towards the compensatory pick formula. His contract has to expire to be factored in.
I thought I read that if a signed FA is released prior to a certain date then they dont count against you with comp picks.

I thought I read that if a signed FA is released prior to a certain date then they dont count against you with comp picks.

Is this what you had read from Over The Cap?

In order to qualify for the comp equation, a player must have been a true Unrestricted Free Agent whose contract had expired or was voided after the previous season (i.e., he cannot have been released by his old team); he must sign during the UFA signing period (which ended July 27 last year); if he signs after June 1[*], he must have been tendered a June 1 qualifying offer by his old team; his compensatory value or contract value must be above a specific minimum amount; and he cannot have been permanently released by his new team before a certain point in the season (which seems to be after Week 10) or, possibly, before getting a certain amount of playing time, unless he was claimed off waivers by another team.

If so, I think that applies to the Vikings’ compensatory pick formula, like say the Vikings were scheduled to get a comp pick from losing Easton, then us releasing him before Week 10 could cause them to lose their potential pick. That’s how I’m reading it anyway unless if I’m over analyzing it which is possible. :hihi:

I don’t think it affects us because we signed more compensatory pick eligible free agents than we lost anyway according to their chart here.

Easton balled out today, he may stick around long enough to earn another few years of his deal.

tenor.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom