Why are we paying Nick Easton (1 Viewer)

rvrelan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The Saints are paying this guy “starting center” money. I thought we brought him in so he could either start at C or be a utility backup at G. I saw he was on inactive list and I guess he has been but I can’t understand why the organization is paying a guy that much money to be inactive. If Will Clapp is that much better (heaven forbid with the way Clapp got manhandled yesterday) why did we gv him all that money in the first place (4 yrs 22.5 mil)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Easton Played BETTER than Peat.

Simple as that!
Cut it out. He filled in admirably...1 game vs a 4yr career with a pro bowl under his belt.

People really hate this guy and I don't get it....drafted as a tackle and was best available pick at the time....athletic enough to move inside and because he's not a starting tackle he somehow us a bad draft pick....but look who our tackles are

Reaction score
Cut it out. He filled in admirably...1 game vs a 4yr career with a pro bowl under his belt.

People really hate this guy and I don't get it....drafted as a tackle and was best available pick at the time....athletic enough to move inside and because he's not a starting tackle he somehow us a bad draft pick....but look who our tackles are
I don't hate the guy. He certainly isn't a bust but he also isn't worth re-signing to the amount it's gonna take when we have other young players who are better @ their respective positions with contract renewals coming up

Reaction score
Peats value isn’t just as a Guard, he’s our backup Tackle and with a tackle that misses game like Armstead, that’s a valuable skill set to have. For us to let Pear walk, we’ll need to fill that hole, imo.
We did that last year with a vet minimum contract. Shouldn't be that difficult, he's not exactly a good tackle. If you're going to have a dropoff, Peat at least gave you the advantage of a roster spot. Not worth paying him 10mil though. If he's willing to sign for 5 or 6 mil, then it's worth thinking about.

His health issues give me pause regardless.

SubmarineMike

Rookie
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Zach and Deuce commented at the end that they never had to point out any missed blocks or assignments by Easton today.
I’m beginning to suspect that the front office people may know a bit more about the team and players than they get credit for. Possibly even more than random posters on a sports fan site.

TD2

Reaction score

I didn’t like the Peat pick at the time and he’s been about what I expected. Was too high of a pick to be a guard. I remember saying after he was drafted that Lael Collins would be better and the Cowboys got him for free.

Reaction score
I remember saying after he was drafted that Lael Collins would be better and the Cowboys got him for free.
La’el Collins wasn’t signing with any team but the Cowboys. It is what it is. LSU fans can’t accept that he didn’t want to be in Louisiana anymore.

abnrgr

Rangers Lead the Way!
Reaction score
I think the best option at this point is to keep Easton at LG and play Clapp as the swing tackle. Once Peat heals you play him in the Clapp role. A good backup at guard or tackle with enough snaps to knock the rust off but limited snaps to keep him healthy. I think that is the vision for Peat moving forward this season and perhaps for the rest of his career.

la. champ1

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I was really impressed by his play in that his name didn't get called in his first start of the season. Bucs have a good DL, too.
Agree. Light years ahead of what we saw from Clapp last week. Of course he’s played in the league and started longer.

Saintfan in Dallas

Go Dogs!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was said by Easton’s former teammates that his body odor was so bad, that it was an advantage for him bc the smell of him was so putrid. I hope he fails to shower for the rest of the season
Stankonia SZN
That's an old wrestler's trick. You don't pin someone, you make them pass out.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I think Peat will be a good LT somewhere next year. I don't want to lose him but I think we will. Rams might want him if Whitworth is done.
I think that's a fair point. Peat can play LT. We can argue how good he is but with the lack of decent OL across the league, I can imagine he and his agent will seek LT money. There are a lot of teams who would be happy to have him at LT. He should be out of our price range this off season, especially considering our other players who will need to get paid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom