Why are we paying Nick Easton (1 Viewer)

rvrelan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The Saints are paying this guy “starting center” money. I thought we brought him in so he could either start at C or be a utility backup at G. I saw he was on inactive list and I guess he has been but I can’t understand why the organization is paying a guy that much money to be inactive. If Will Clapp is that much better (heaven forbid with the way Clapp got manhandled yesterday) why did we gv him all that money in the first place (4 yrs 22.5 mil)

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Tackle eligible is a pretty different spot than playing guard. Easton graded out very high Sunday run blocking.
Except Will Clapp is also a guard playing tackle eligible. He is playing it because he is a better run blocker.

Regarding Easton, one game does not a career make. I will continue to defer to the body of work he has put forth until he sufficiently proves otherwise.

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
And maybe he isn't as good as Peat but there is nothing wrong with having more depth. Why do you think he was signed? Did you see last years O-Line go from great to battered like a domestic violence caller? Because that is what happen injuries built up. Having Depth is NEVER EVER bad to have.
Never said he was as good as Peat. Actually I don't think Peat is that good either. Of course we need depth. Just don't think Easton is it. Again, hope he proves me wrong.

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems you continue to miss the point. I don't object to the strategy. I object to the player. There weren't any centers available to execute the strategy with. You don't spend money just to say you did.
No, I understand you don’t think Easton is a capable center, nor do you think there was a better player available at the position at the time. We disagree about his addition to the roster.

Vermont Saint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
He is not a good run blocker at all. If you don't believe me, believe the Saints when they repeatedly sat him so Clapp could be the tackle eligible.
And yet, somehow, he stumbles his way into helping the Saints run for 100 + yards against one of the best run fronts in the NFL. He's lucky, I guess.
And he doesn't play tackle, which is likely why he will never be the tackle eligible. Of course, Unger never played tackle eligible either. Hmm.

Reaction score
Never said he was as good as Peat. Actually I don't think Peat is that good either. Of course we need depth. Just don't think Easton is it. Again, hope he proves me wrong.
We are paying him to play right now he showed up against the Bucs and when we needed him. Brees was barely breathed on by the Bucs D-line we need more of that.

TD2

Reaction score
La’el Collins wasn’t signing with any team but the Cowboys. It is what it is. LSU fans can’t accept that he didn’t want to be in Louisiana anymore.
Very true but you could have burned a 6th or 7th on him. I said at the time it was worth it take the gamble. Just don’t let him sign his contract until after he was cleared. Not like anyone after pj Williams is still on the roster from that draft class....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom