Why are we paying Nick Easton (2 Viewers)

I think the best option at this point is to keep Easton at LG and play Clapp as the swing tackle. Once Peat heals you play him in the Clapp role. A good backup at guard or tackle with enough snaps to knock the rust off but limited snaps to keep him healthy. I think that is the vision for Peat moving forward this season and perhaps for the rest of his career.

I was really impressed by his play in that his name didn't get called in his first start of the season. Bucs have a good DL, too.
Agree. Light years ahead of what we saw from Clapp last week. Of course he’s played in the league and started longer.

I think Peat will be a good LT somewhere next year. I don't want to lose him but I think we will. Rams might want him if Whitworth is done.

It was said by Easton’s former teammates that his body odor was so bad, that it was an advantage for him bc the smell of him was so putrid. I hope he fails to shower for the rest of the season
Stankonia SZN

That's an old wrestler's trick. You don't pin someone, you make them pass out.

I think Peat will be a good LT somewhere next year. I don't want to lose him but I think we will. Rams might want him if Whitworth is done.

I think that's a fair point. Peat can play LT. We can argue how good he is but with the lack of decent OL across the league, I can imagine he and his agent will seek LT money. There are a lot of teams who would be happy to have him at LT. He should be out of our price range this off season, especially considering our other players who will need to get paid.

I have been quite vocal with my displeasure with the Saints paying Nick Easton what they are. One game doesn't change my opinion, especially a game which played to minimizing his weaknesses. But he did a very good job Sunday and I hope he proves me wrong.

I have been quite vocal with my displeasure with the Saints paying Nick Easton what they are. One game doesn't change my opinion, especially a game which played to minimizing his weaknesses. But he did a very good job Sunday and I hope he proves me wrong.

How would you have addressed Unger’s sudden retirement?

It worked out that McCoy was drafted, but that was a bit of good fortune. Now with Peat out for an extended period, having Easton on the roster is also fortunate. Somebody posted that his guaranteed money is actually quite low. If that’s the case, then he looks like a good insurance policy.

Were there other options that would have been better?

We paid Easton because Unger retired and left us needing to make sure we had someone that could play center before the draft. Then we got McCoy in the draft and we didn't need Easton at center and he's not better than Peat or Warford at guard. He was inactive because they weren't counting on an injury and they probably don't think Easton would be effective as Clapp is on the outside as an extra lineman (for whatever reason, could be they just don't he's athletic enough for the blocks an extra lineman is typically asked to make). Obviously Clapp completely wetting the bed when called upon at guard could change that.

Yep, unfortunately we got a bad case of Clapp against the Falcons.

Not sayin he has doesn’t have em, but jus for clarity, what do you think his weaknesses are?

How would you have addressed Unger’s sudden retirement?

It worked out that McCoy was drafted, but that was a bit of good fortune. Now with Peat out for an extended period, having Easton on the roster is also fortunate. Somebody posted that his guaranteed money is actually quite low. If that’s the case, then he looks like a good insurance policy.

Were there other options that would have been better?
How would I have addressed Unger's sudden retirement? By doing what the Saints did in the draft. It wasn't simply "fortune" that they got him. They targeted him and made their move.

There weren't any good options at the center position at that time in the free agent market. The fact that we needed a center didn't change that. You can't just spend money on someone and have him be good because you need one. I said as much at the time.

Nonetheless, there are several players at guard I would have been interested in, without Easton's injury history. I can't remember them all but one was John Miller. For example, he was at least an okay run blocker. Easton is not and the Saints tacitly admitted that when they benched him for Will Clapp in the tackle eligible role.

And if we spent less than Miller (again, can't remember the names, sorry), I wanted to use the savings to improve the depth at tackle as well, which we still have not done. Thank God we've gotten away with that so far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom