Why Brees didn't have a good game? (1 Viewer)

Don't overlook the fact that Lance Moore was not available for this game. Last year, when the Saints would face 3rd and long situations, Brees often found Moore for a first down. Yesterday, he didn't seem to have that third or fourth option who could find a way to get open for the 1st. Also, as others have said, the Saints offense has 3 or 4 games a year in which the passing game is out of synch. The last two years those were automatic loses. Yesterday proved how far this team has come. Lastly, I don't want to take anything away from the Bills defense. They played really hard and had to be out on the field a long time. They had a solid game plan, and even better execution.

Well said....my sentiments exactly.:9:

What game were you watching? Reggie started off horrible in returning punts, but he started off running the ball pretty good. He got better in returning the punts later on, but I thought he ran well.

I don't mean in anyway he was doing bad. He had two really good series running, but it wasn't that you could have handed him the ball and he would have gotten a 1st down every other play, like Bell has done or Thomas did in the 2nd half.

The Saints had to pass to attempt to keep the drives alive.

He really didn't have a terrible game. He didn't throw any TD's but look at QBs in the league. I mean, he had an average game, people think it is a bad game. The dude is the best football player in the world right now, hands down. Let him have a damn average game every once in awhile. He also just helped Pierre Thomas get his groove back, and now we wont have to hear about Mike Bell being the savior of our football team anymore.

The wet field and the 15 mph winds in Brees face most of the day are what hurt us, not thier Defense. They rushed alot, but our 2nd and 3rd string held them down pretty well. Wait til J Brown gets back, whoever thinks we don't need him back is crazy. 7 sacs last year. remember?

Combination of a great Bills defense and Drews accuracy was off when he had time and a target.

Dunno why Drews accuracy was off. Maybe he got a little rattled. Maybe the sore left shoulder wasnt letting his balance arm get to its normal position. Maybe the wind gusted a tad at the wrong moments. Maybe his biorhythms were crosseyed due to New York moonbeams. Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B. Sometimes it just isnt a guys day. It happens to everybody. Even Breesus.

I do think that Drew having a mediocre day passing helped the rest of the team gel though. It was less "I can beat my man" out there and more "I cant beat all of you alone but WE can beat you" than I can remember seeing on a Saints team before. Especially on the defense.

If I know Drew Brees like I think I do though he wont have two "off" Sundays in a row. :hihi:

The Bills got excellant, fast pressure. It seemed like, considering the wind, Payton decided to go with a lot of screens. But the pressure was so fast, we couldn't even get those to work.

Even with the pressure up front, they were still able to maintain good coverage on our receivers. I hope the Bills have a good D, because this game has me very worried about the Jets D. Except for the weather, everything we saw yesterday will be cranked up a notch or two next week.

What? He declined the 5 yards to aid us in field position. He kneed the ball going into half once we didnt get a good return. Not going to run plays against the wind, w/ 20 seconds left, no TOs, from your 25. You must have confidence that your STs wont go offsides, thats coaching scared.

And by declining you leave open the possibility that if we commit a penalty they get a fresh set of downs. It just wasn't smart to decline the penalty. And why waste the 2 timeouts with over 3 and half minutes left? He gave them extra time to score. Another move that wasn't smart at all.

And by declining you leave open the possibility that if we commit a penalty they get a fresh set of downs. It just wasn't smart to decline the penalty. And why waste the 2 timeouts with over 3 and half minutes left? He gave them extra time to score. Another move that wasn't smart at all.

They won.

you forgot to mention the wind, on the top row of the stadiun they have all the NFL teams flags represented, there were no 2 flags blowing in the same direction

Well, here's my opinion, since we're talking...

The wind was a big factor, it appeared to be gusty and the balls were not always staying on the tees for the kickoffs. Both QBs were affected by this, IMO.

Brees wasn't scared one bit, the man is fearless.

Brees wasn't bothered by his non-throwing shoulder, he is very tough, and has played before in SD with a separation in his non-throwing shoulder.

The Bills have a good D, and they had a good game plan to stop Brees at all costs. We had the answer this year with our running game, Thank the Lord. :)

Brees has bad games. Typically he gets flustered and tends to overfocus on one receiver(Shockey yesterday).

QB's can have bad games in wins. See Jamarcus Russel last week.

Our defense, running game, and special teams minus the field goal fake won us that game. If we would have continued to rely on Brees, then its quite possible we would have lost.

Bills played great D. I give them credit first.

Second was a combination of bad pass protection and jumpiness by Brees. He seemed afraid to step up into the pocket and was throwing off his back foot a bit.

I watched Colston run a few very suspect routes, including an out on 3rd down where he just jogged the second half of the route. Dude's a beast, but hey, I saw it.

Brees, or more appropriately our passing game, typically struggles when defenses effectively do the following: jam our WRs (disrupts timing), mainly rush 4, and drop 7 into coverage. While weather conditions (wind) may have played some part, the Bills perfectly executed this strategy yesterday and shut down our passing game. We almost certainly would have lost this type game in 2007 and 2008.

I think the game plan was to run against the Bills. Although Drew admitted this morning on 870AM that the game plan ended up to beat them on the ground because the passing game wasn't as effective, I think they went into the game knowing they would need to do that to win... I think if "push come to shove" Drew could have beat them with his arm, but he followed the coach's game plan to win with the ball on the ground. Obviously, being diverse wins more games in the long run.

Sooo even though Drew said that that originally wasn't the gameplan.....you still think that it was??????? Color me an idiot then...blah it was a halftime adjustment...the clear plan was to go in and have drew do as much damage as possible, problem was that the bills game planned to stop the pass and shut down Drew and have us beat them without Drew. Payton Recognizing this adjusted during halftime..while the bills stuck to the STOP DREW GAMEPLAN and it was all she wrote?

It was the cover 2/zone,why cant anyone believe me? Some one please pull up stats of all the cover 2 teams that drew brees faced and u will see what im saying

it was clearly the cover 2 being played to its best. The players were disciplined and were told not to give up the big play...our offense lives around the big plan and Drew's ability to deliver. However the Tampa 2 is built specifically to stop the deep pass...if your players are disciplined and play their assignments.. you make the window for throwing passes shrink. That on top of the Wind is what rendered Drew nearly useless. However, he was able to avoid turning the ball over..except for the fumble and we were able to provide our own turnovers to keep us positive in that statistic.

They took breesus out of the game and forced us to beat them another way......no different from stacking the box to stop say an Adrian Peterson and forcing the vikings to beat you threw the air. They wanted us to beat them on the ground and we did.......THE ANSWER IS THAT SIMPLE

DONT WORRY I BELIEVE YOU it was the Tampa 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom