Question Why Can't Brees Throw Downfield? (1 Viewer)

People talk about injuries but it's really this simple. Age takes things away. Just ask anyone who is old or in the process of becoming old. I'm about to be 40 and I can't do things I could do just 5 years ago. I don't have blazing speed anymore. I can only squat 800 lbs. My bench is down to just over 500. Hell I can barely dunk anymore.

That's not true at all.

Randy Johnson did it. Nolan Ryan did it till he was way past that.

Smoltz never threw quite that hard, but never lost any velocity.

Throwing a football is not the same as a baseball. Many fastball pitchers can maintain the velocity, but it's truly an apples to footballs comparison.

There was a time as a teen where I felt like I could throw a golf ball sized rock from the ferry to the convention center. Back then I didn't understand youth and physics. Now I feel a popping pain anytime I try to put juice on any throw.

... or juice in a cup... j/s
🤭

Because he has to throw up not down... Duh.

I do b/c I think what we're looking at is a guy who can't stay healthy anymore for a season b/c of his age. He is becoming more prone to injury as he ages, which is natural. It's time for Drew to hang it up. We need an offense that can stretch the field. Play aggressive man against our WR's and put a safety in the box to defend the run and pressure the A gaps, and good teams can beat us, and this is what is going to happen again in the playoffs unless we can start going vertical again. Remember, Drew has very little mobility, and so if he doesn't have a perfect pocket and a receiver who is open within 10 yards of the LOS, the chances of him completing the play are diminishing every season now.

In all fairness to Drew.... His last 2 injuries were because of protection. Both were kinda fluke injuries. Thumb first... Then being slammed to the ground with full weight. Either way the body just doesn't recover as quickly

I don't think he was fully recovered from the broken ribs and he was taking hits. It hurts like hell to throw when you've had your ribs broken. They can stay sore for awhile. Then he had the torn rotator cuff. You're not going to throw a football very far or accurate. I know, I have a torn rotator cuff right now and I throw the football with my grandsons and I have to put a lot of air under it just to get it to go about 30 yds. Brees also was playing with a torn facia so that messes with the amount of force it takes to push the ball down the field. He needs to heal up and see how he feels and then make his decision wether to come back or retire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom