Why can't the NFL use technology like the World Cup does? (1 Viewer)

Where the ball is, whether someone went out of bounds, false start/offsides: these could all be determined by technology.

There would still be ample opportunity to fix games: pass interference, holding, roughing the passer, whether something is a catch. None of these are penalties that technology can catch.

Yes, it’s all a giant conspiracy! That’s why the league adopted slow-motion instant replay so their mistakes could be dissected over and over again before millions of viewers…
Yet their bogus flags (and blatant no-calls) still can’t be challenged, even if that same slow-motion instant replay clearly shows the “judgement call” by that official was entirely wrong.

We saw it the one (and only) year there was the PI review, even on obvious calls and no-calls, they stuck with the call on the field and overturned VERY few of their officials’ calls, effectively thumbing their nose at the fans and teams trying to get correct officiating.

It would make the game 4 to 5 hours long. There are penalties on every play. So are caught and some aren’t

It wouldn't. The 40 seconds between plays is more than enough time to create the render, not to mention all of the stoppages ( incomplete passes, time outs, challenges, TV breaks, etc. )

And maybe not for penalties, but for spotting the ball, players out of bounds, crossing the goal line, where punts actually left the field...

It'd definitely help for PI calls, offsides/false starts, intentional grounding (QB in the box or not), ineligible down field...

Soccer has slowly been eroding away my love of football for this very reason. Its every bit as intense but with simplistic rules that nearly anyone can see and interpret when there is a foul. Football has become far too convoluted and open to interpretation of the officiating crew with far to great of award for fouls. The WWE is an excellent comparison for where the nfl is headed 20 years from now.

That’s not some kind of evil plot. That’s a manifestation of a problem that underlies all of these issues: the league insists on deferring to the authority of the officials on the field. So overturns have to be ”indisputable” visual proof. So the officials have to go over to a monitor so they seem to be in control of the replay.

This is all so refs don’t feel undermined and shown up, just like they won’t allow replay challenges on balls and strikes in baseball though analysis shows umps consistently miss 10-20% of the calls, often in crucial situation.

Replay challenges should be de novo without any consideration to the call made on the field. And no need for refs to go run to the monitor. The challenge can go straight to the booth which then calls down to the head ref. Keep it moving…

Canada got hosed for sure.

Still technology produces a lower margin of error.

I think to be fair, every obvious call should be reviewed on NFL games.

Bad refereeing and gambling are killing my love for the sport. This season I am watching less games and in some weekends, saints games are not my priority anymore.

I am getting old!

We should have had a few goals at least. . . tomorrow is going to be a better game. I was concerned to let my buds know that I have basically quit live football, but then quickly realized that nobody really cared. I record Saints games and watch on mute, skipping 30 seconds ahead between plays. Its become that bad . .. now maybe it's because we aren't used to the boring play, have become a mediocre team or I have gotten old as well. 4 hour games of flags and cramped players and minor injuries is just painful when a third of it is talking heads and commercials.

Could you imagine if the NFL kept time the same way soccer does ?

Run the clock constantly and never stop . Then at the end of each half the ref decides how much longer the half will last and puts a number up like 4 mins left . But sometimes that 4 mins turns into 3 mins or 6 mins .

The ref on the field only person in the stadium who even knows how much time is left .

Saw a soccer match one time where it was real late and into the added minutes .

A player breaks away for a 1 on 1 vs the goalie which is about a 90/10 success ratio and right before the guy kicks the winning goal the ref blows the whistle and says the game is over .

And this is the sport that y’all are bragging about being so far and above the NFL? Lol

Could you imagine if the NFL kept time the same way soccer does ?

Run the clock constantly and never stop . Then at the end of each half the ref decides how much longer the half will last and puts a number up like 4 mins left . But sometimes that 4 mins turns into 3 mins or 6 mins .

The ref on the field only person in the stadium who even knows how much time is left .

Saw a soccer match one time where it was real late and into the added minutes .

A player breaks away for a 1 on 1 vs the goalie which is about a 90/10 success ratio and right before the guy kicks the winning goal the ref blows the whistle and says the game is over .

And this is the sport that y’all are bragging about being so far and above the NFL? Lol
So, your argument for why the NFL shouldn't employ more technology and increase transparency is to point out an area in soccer in which they've stubbornly stuck to an old way of doing things that could be improved if they employed technology and increased transparency?

Your argument proves my point.

Adopt technology. Increase transparency.

To each their own I guess…. I don’t know how people can watch soccer. Watching my kids fight over the last piece of bacon at breakfast is more entertaining…. And at least there is a clear winner and loser.

The NFL system isn’t perfect…. But soccer is boring.

To each their own I guess…. I don’t know how people can watch soccer. Watching my kids fight over the last piece of bacon at breakfast is more entertaining…. And at least there is a clear winner and loser.

The NFL system isn’t perfect…. But soccer is boring.
Soccer (the sport) isn’t as exciting as eggball, but the rules in soccer are clearer, and the sport is more adaptive to technology. The NFL is inching closer and closer to WWE with each passing season.

The NFL system isn’t perfect…. But soccer is boring

I couldn't watch it all the time don't think, but its on right now while I am typing this and I don't really need to pay attention until I hear the crowd get louder. Plus the commentators don't go on an on about foolishness. And it's over in two hours. It's just different and fresh and brakets are interesting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom