Why Carr will be a Saint (1 Viewer)

I honestly think that Carr would probably be best case scenario if the Saints are looking to compete next season. He’s not great but he’s a big time upgrade to Dalton/Winston/Hill. He could legit be the best QB in the division and often that’s enough to win the division. Still need to prioritize drafting a QB. But I’d be thrilled with Carr

No, I am saying if your Team is playing great Team ball, then the QB's job is easier, but if you want your QB to will you team to victory then your in trouble.
That's always the case but some coaches are better than others when it comes to putting their QB into a position to succeed. We don't have that luxury.

That's always the case but some coaches are better than others when it comes to putting their QB into a position to succeed. We don't have that luxury.
I think Shanahan’s ability to do that is more mythical than reality. He is 38-17 in the regular season when Jimmy G starts, and 14-29 when he doesn’t. Before Purdy he was 9-29. That’s Dennis Allen level performance.

I’ll keep saying it takes three things, a good system, a QB that fits the system, and an offensive line to keep the QB clean.

I think Shanahan’s ability to do that is more mythical than reality. He is 38-17 in the regular season when Jimmy G starts, and 14-29 when he doesn’t. Before Purdy he was 9-29. That’s Dennis Allen level performance.

I’ll keep saying it takes three things, a good system, a QB that fits the system, and an offensive line to keep the QB clean.
How many division titles and conference championships? 38-17 is something DA can only dream about.

Carr isnt "getting us to the middle" as far as salary cap. And I dont know if he fits the timing of where we are as a franchise. You have McKee potentially in that 29-40 range, but Theres just too many unknowns with Hooker in that range to take him. The knee, the offense he played in, and being 25 right out the gate. If he slides, thats a different story.

Id say McKee is the only guy in the top 2 rounds that would be available and we should take. Otherwise we might as well just go with Dalton and draft a high upside guy in the middle rounds and see what happens.

I say go with Dalton because I think 2024 is the year I think we start pushing forward again. Get the cap in order, keep the draft picks and do whatever it takes to land a qb in the draft or FA next season.

There are some nice looking QBs in this draft , none of which I’d be willing to pay the price to go up and grab.

Anything QB wise still there at 29 likely not going to be able to get this group over the proverbial “ hump “ before this group gets too old.

So I’m all for Derek Carr.

I’d like to remind everyone that we were dragging a clearly over the hill Drew Brees to NFC championships and only ended up losing to the eventual Super Bowl winner. Our defense did that. Kept things that close.

Late this season it had been said a thousand times how our defense was on par with that 9ers defense.

If we could , replenish our defense back to said heights ( not far to go ). And substitute Drew for Derek Carr , and keep the rest the same , I believe we have our formula.

He’s not gonna run like Anthony Richardson , or be shiny new , but he’s not gonna turn the ball over. He’s not gonna make rookie mistakes in a big game.

I honestly believe we should embrace that we are a defensive team now under Allen , lean into it.

Carr is more than capable , draft him a TE like Mayer or something , try and get MT back on a team friendly deal , sell him on Carr and a new regime and let the cards fall where they may.

A rookie QB says to our veterans , we’re done competing and winning here. Hang ‘em up , why try ? 😒

Carr says , okay I’m reloaded 😤
We'd be lucky if Derek Carr was our starter. I doubt he goes to New Orleans. I predict Garoppolo ends up with the Saints. Or, even worse, Daniel Jones.

I would be very happy and somewhat optimistic if we could land Carr, trouble is that there are a lot of teams looking for a quarterback right now.
If we had a very good O-Coordinator or offensive play calling HC then he could come here. I know he has a relationship with DA but if I were him I'd be headed elsewhere.

There is a good chance DA and PC are both gone at the end of this coming year.

How many division titles and conference championships? 38-17 is something DA can only dream about.
I agree 38-17 is great and will get you into the playoffs and beyond, the Allen comment refers to Shanahan’s record of 9-29 without Jimmy G and Purdy, or even the 14-29 without Jimmy G. No one is winning division titles or sniffing the playoffs with a 0.326 win pct.

A common opinion is that any QB can be thrown into Shanahan’s offense and they will win. The results don’t show that to be true.

Mickey stated he wants to manage the cap “back to the middle”. Carr will have to take less to make it work.

Loomis wants to win too. He offered Watson a huge deal when they were $70 million over the cap. The cap isn't an issue if that's the route they want to go.

If we had a very good O-Coordinator or offensive play calling HC then he could come here. I know he has a relationship with DA but if I were him I'd be headed elsewhere.

There is a good chance DA and PC are both gone at the end of this coming year.

And, there's a good chance they're not if they land Carr, which is why I think they will push hard for Carr.

They didn't give him permission to seek a trade which suggests they are trying to work out a better contract to me.
Ya, that makes more sense but it’s not like he has a mega contract now. I don’t know who they plan to replace him with especially if Brady really retires

There are some nice looking QBs in this draft , none of which I’d be willing to pay the price to go up and grab.

Anything QB wise still there at 29 likely not going to be able to get this group over the proverbial “ hump “ before this group gets too old.

So I’m all for Derek Carr.

I’d like to remind everyone that we were dragging a clearly over the hill Drew Brees to NFC championships and only ended up losing to the eventual Super Bowl winner. Our defense did that. Kept things that close.

Late this season it had been said a thousand times how our defense was on par with that 9ers defense.

If we could , replenish our defense back to said heights ( not far to go ). And substitute Drew for Derek Carr , and keep the rest the same , I believe we have our formula.

He’s not gonna run like Anthony Richardson , or be shiny new , but he’s not gonna turn the ball over. He’s not gonna make rookie mistakes in a big game.

I honestly believe we should embrace that we are a defensive team now under Allen , lean into it.

Carr is more than capable , draft him a TE like Mayer or something , try and get MT back on a team friendly deal , sell him on Carr and a new regime and let the cards fall where they may.

A rookie QB says to our veterans , we’re done competing and winning here. Hang ‘em up , why try ? 😒

Carr says , okay I’m reloaded 😤
The only way we should sign Carr is if it's a two year deal with no potential dead money. He will cost upwards of 40 million a year. He hasn't proved yet that he is worth that kind of money. The worst thing we could do is lock ourselves into a 3-4 year deal with tons of potential dead money for a guy who may be average to good at best.

Why, because Josh McDaniel said so? Josh McDaniel is a clown who can't put together a defense. Where is his drop off? He had 4000 + yds w/ 24 TDs and 14 INTs in 2021.
My brother is a diehard Raiders fan, has been for years. He likes Carr, but he also says that Carr is very hesitant to throw a deep ball, tends to hold the ball too long, and has a knack for getting hurt at the most in opportune time

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom