Why did Favre ever leave the Falclowns? (1 Viewer)

d3vanj

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
was he traded? not resigned? what happened? thank god he didn't stay with them though

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Glanville, the Falcon's sorry excuse for a coach, hated Favre.

BigHossTheBoss

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Favre was kind of a clown his first year in the league. He admits that he was a party animal, and ATL got a little tired of his act. It helped that they had Chris Chandler, who was a very good QB at the time, but it ended up being obviously a colossal mistake.

CargoJon

Banned
Reaction score
Glanville was too stupid and short-sighted to see Favre's talent. He was quoted as saying that "Favre was a three-year project, and I was on a two-year contract."

So they traded him.

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, but didn't green bay give up a high first round pick for him?

Yes, they gave up a first rounder. At the time I'm sure many teams would have made that deal. Hindsight is 20/20.

Ti Rider

Me Worry?
Reaction score
Glanville was such an idiot. A world class Elvis worshipping hick himself he referred to Favre as "Country". He would make statements like "Send Country in to throw it". Thankfully he was incredibly shortsighted and traded Farve. How would the Falcons fortunes have changed with Favre at QB for the next 17 years?

NPs6724

Two Dat, Here We Come!
Reaction score
Glanville was such an idiot. A world class Elvis worshipping hick himself he referred to Favre as "Country". He would make statements like "Send Country in to throw it". Thankfully he was incredibly shortsighted and traded Farve. How would the Falcons fortunes have changed with Favre at QB for the next 17 years?

I know our fortunes would've been even worse.

CargoJon

Banned
Reaction score
I would have given up 5 first round picks for Favre, if I would have had fortune-telling abilities.

By the way, Glanville referred to Favre as "Mississippi"

Rich Jr

SR is my life!
Reaction score
We call this guy stoopid but hind sight is 20/20 and i'm glad he did it.

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Glanville is many things but stupid he is not. He created the Gritz Blitz, pretty much the 46 defense before it had its name in the late 70's and early 80's which made the Falcons pretty good under Leeman Bennett. the guy is a defensive genius he just got screwed in Houston with Bud Adams and burned out in Atlanta. He is a hard guy to work with but in Favre's case he could not work with him. I guess if he could read the future, yeah he would have kept him but Favre was not the QB he was in Green Bay that we was in Atlanta. Did not have the maturity to be a good QB, he needed a good mentor in Holmgrem to mold him.

2fya

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
I would have given up 5 first round picks for Favre, if I would have had fortune-telling abilities.

By the way, Glanville referred to Favre as "Mississippi"

i was about to say that. glanville always referred to him as mississippi, not country

cdogg

THE WOOD WAS BROUGHT
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He drafted Favre's former teammate with the pick, some RB that washed out of the league.

billinms

Tiptoeing Through the Tulips
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
What a joke.

Attachments

• jerry_glanville.jpg
    jerry_glanville.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 289

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't give Glandville as much flak as others. It wasn't he who traded Favre in the first place. The other back up QB, Bill Joe future Saint, got Favre super drunk one night with the plan of having Favre make a bad impression the next day, and it happened and had a lot to do with Favre going to GB. Another question you should ask is "why the hell did Nelson Stokely pass on Favre". He had Brian Mitchell at QB, and Favre said " why don't you move him to RB and let me be QB, you could have us both in the backfield at the same time?" Stokely said no, and Favre, who had his hopes set on USL, went to Southern Miss, and the rest is history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom