Why Did Sean Take The Play Calling Back? (1 Viewer)

This is the key question of 2016 IMO. The defense did ok considering all that happened. There is at least three games I can think of this year where his play calling obviously lost us the game. KC, Denver and Carolina. There were others where you kinda scratch your head and say maybe he was thinking this or that. But those three made me really question what's going on.

Maybe he never got over it when Parcells did it to him.
That was Fassel in New York or did Parecells do it in Dallas too?

With the Giants the offense was underperforming and I think Collins was throwing a lot of INTs so Fassel took over

With the Giants the offense was underperforming and I think Collins was throwing a lot of INTs so Fassel took over

I was thinking it was Parcells but once you mentioned Fassel that sounded a little familiar too. Now I am just confused.

Payton's playcalling did not win that game more than Brees and Cooks did. It could have also been one of those statement games given what happened last year against this same team.

As someone said, Payton's OC job in NY was not great. So which is it? Brees or Payton?

If Sean would have left the playbook alone, we would be in the playoffs and Drew would have been the MVP.

(In my best Paul Harvey voice)

Now.....The Rest of the story.....

During Payton's first season with the Giants, Fassel's mother was sick and eventually died. In the week prior to the Giants playing the Jets that season, Fassel traveled back forth to California for his mother's funeral. He allowed Payton to call the plays for the first time. The Giants scored 41 points against Parcells.

Fassel gave Payton the playcalling job full-time after the Jets game and promoted him to offensive coordinator after the season. The Giants then made it to the Super Bowl in 2000.

But the Giants were just 7-9 in 2001 and 3-4 through the first seven games of 2002 after a 17-3 loss to the Eagles. The offense had scored just seven touchdowns. Payton's mother had recently died, and Fassel knew how that impacted him three years earlier.

So, he demoted Payton and resumed calling the plays himself. "He handled it professionally," Fassel said. "You are hurt. Absolutely. I was the head coach and if you don't think you can make those decisions, don't go be one. If I can fire myself from my job, I can fire anybody else."

Fassel gave the offense the same spark in '02 that Payton gave it in '99. The Giants scored points in bunches and Fassel said the staff and ownership told him after the season he needed to keep calling the plays in 2003. Fassel believed Payton's offense had become too complicated.

Myers: Fallout with Fassel set stage for Sean - NY Daily News

beating the poop outta the Rams,at home,is not that big of an achievement this year.....

Perhaps you forgot about the times when that was still true but we lost to them when we were a better team, including that time they were like 0-8 and beat us in the Superdome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom