Why did the Saints go for 2 points with :41 left? (1 Viewer)

Cincy Saint

VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted anywhere.

Why did the Saints go for 2 points at the end of the game?

The sucessful attempt put them down 13 points which still requires at least two scores. No way you can kick 2 FG's and score a TD in 41 seconds.

The TV announcers said it was to practice the two point conversion. That seems wrong to me becuase 1) this is a game not practice 2) why show your future opponents one of your 2 point plays.

Could it be that Payton is thinking a long way away to the points differenental tie breaker?

practice...why not try out some 2-point plays when the outcome is not in question? May help later when it is.

I figured it was just to practice it in a game situation. That way when we need it to win a game we would have had experience trying it. I still think we need practice on our onside kicks though. That's twice now we go with an onside kick and both times I don't think our guys even had a shot to try to recover it.

He probably wanted to test it out and see how it worked against a real D...

It may not even have been the play that he wanted to see, but he may have wanted to see a defense's reaction to the formation...

Because you play to win the game.

Herm is that you? hehe

I agree though

0071445099.jpg

that and if it ever came down to points in a tie breaker, the more you get the better

that and if it ever came down to points in a tie breaker, the more you get the better

Dean I don't know what LA is doing to you bro, but you're looking much better judging by your avatar!

practice...why not try out some 2-point plays when the outcome is not in question? May help later when it is.

The outcome was not in question, we were going to lose that game regardless with the time that was left.

Because since we got the two pointer we got within 13. Then kick an onside kick and if they recover and go nowhere on 3 plays then a field goal wouldn't kill us if we only went for an extra point.

I would have been confused if we hadn't of gone for it. Since onside kicks were to come of it afterwards

The only thing that I can think of is if you score two more touchdowns after that one, you'd be in a position to tie the game with the PAT or win it with the 2 pt. Only, if you don't convert the two point, you lose 34-35. So, by going for the two point on an earlier score, you can miss a conversion and still be able to tie 35-35 by going for it again and making it. Or, if you make it, like we did, you are in a position where for the last 2 td's, you can kick PAT's and win it. It's kinda smart if you think of it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom