Why did the Saints go for 2 points with :41 left? (1 Viewer)

I think Payton felt the emotion of the moment dictated proving that we could get the 2pts on the best D, proving to our guys that if we had played a game without all the errors and bad breaks, we could have won. Maybe he didn't do it for that game, but for the next one.

If we would have scored 2 more times, we would have won insted of going into overtime.. thats why.

I asked him to go for two, because I needed the points for my fantasy team.

Because the guy Payton was playing in fantasy had Carney on his team.

Edit: Ach, one fantasy joke right after another, how lame of me.

also, if baltimore would have moved downfield fast and kicked a field goal, our three touchdowns ties it at 38

That was my thinking - it may have even come from a Haz card (showing the differentials and waht you should attempt). I don't buy the "practice" bit.

I think Payton felt the emotion of the moment dictated proving that we could get the 2pts on the best D, proving to our guys that if we had played a game without all the errors and bad breaks, we could have won. Maybe he didn't do it for that game, but for the next one.

Yep. Pride and confidence.

The only thing that I can think of is if you score two more touchdowns after that one, you'd be in a position to tie the game with the PAT or win it with the 2 pt. Only, if you don't convert the two point, you lose 34-35. So, by going for the two point on an earlier score, you can miss a conversion and still be able to tie 35-35 by going for it again and making it. Or, if you make it, like we did, you are in a position where for the last 2 td's, you can kick PAT's and win it. It's kinda smart if you think of it

I kinda' figured that was the logic at the game. I just got to wondering though (may be dangerous :hihi:) if they intercept/fumble recover can they run it back for six or is it blown dead? If they intercept/fumble recover (with full posession) and then we recover a fumble can we run it back for 6? Some rule junkie is out there I bet.

I kinda' figured that was the logic at the game. I just got to wondering though (may be dangerous :hihi:) if they intercept/fumble recover can they run it back for six or is it blown dead? If they intercept/fumble recover (with full posession) and then we recover a fumble can we run it back for 6? Some rule junkie is out there I bet.

No. The play is only worth 2 points, so no one can get 6 points out of it.

peyton knew i needed them to get the
2 points so i could win on the pool

because had we worked up a miracle and scored 2 more... he didnt want any pressure on Carney for that last PAT. I wont mention anything from the past. Carney is a great kicker and his record speaks for itself.

Coach went for two because he thought the over/under was 56.
He had a dolla' on the over 46.... ;)

I honestly think we went for two, just for game situation practice.
I also BELIEVE that coach wanted to show a "You ain't so bad" shout back to the Ravens D. To Culminate the drive, if you will.
If you think about it, they don't return two picks for TD's, then we win.....
BB&G

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom