WHY Did the Saints Lose Today? (1 Viewer)

Ravens fumble on their first possession, Saints recover the ball but squander the opportunity with POOR playcalling...it's all downhill from there.

Blame who you want, we got our butts handed to us today. But the biggest part is the lack of res-zone productivity.

Bottom line, we lost by 13 points and we went 0 for 3 inside the 20 yard line. 1 TD and 2 field goals and its a totally different game. But then you could say that about a lot of the plays today.

Simply put....we lost because we didn't capitalize on our opportunities!....and we had chances!...the biggest chance we had was, when Horn scored the first Saints TD.....4 minutes were left in the 2nd qt, and we needed a GOOD DEFENSIVE STANCE, get the ball back quickly, and have a chance to score again!......the score was 21 to 7 Ravens!

had we achieved that, we should have gone into the locker room down by 7 points, and getting the ball back in the beginning of the 2nd half......A GREAT CHANCE TO TIE THE GAME!

But alas......our D couldn't play along!!....we let McNair to pick our secondary apart, and those 4 minutes remaining were USED BY THE RAVENS TO MOUNT A NICE DRIVE.....and they scored a TD in that time frame!....THERE WENT OUR MOMENTUM!.....at halftime we were down by 21 points again!

It was a huge momentum switch!.....and our team started to force the issue, knowing that we couldn't get balanced on offense, being down by that margin......and soon after the score become 35 to 7, thus ending ANY HOPE OF A TURNAROUND!

But I consider that time the biggest chance we had to try to comeback from a huge deficit.......and we learned that we have serious issues on defense, and we won't achieve much success, unless we fix our defensive woes first!

the Saints defense couldn't stop the 12 to 15 yard pass on 3rd and long.

thats why we lost the game.

learn from it, correct it, and move on.

Yep...the Ravens bread and butter all game long. The Saints have made huge strides at correcting their weakness at MLB...but they are still a player or two away at that position. McNair ran at will into the middle of that D and usually picked up 5+ yards on each of those runs.

This is the NFL. And that was one of the best defenses we have played this year. I thought we were "soft" and even cocky. The game is always won at the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately we doug ourselves a huge hole. That was ugly "Old Saints" football. Thank god we are playing a beatable Bucs team next.

Turnovers and getting beat at the line of scrimmage. If you watched the Ravens o-line was pushing our D-line 5 yards back and moving the line of scrimmage wherever they wanted. We looked undersized for that team. I think we just don't match up well against that team. Some teams you just don't match up with. 5 turnovers and a 100 yard rusher spells defeat in any book.

Come on folks. 5 turnovers with two returned for Td's. No running game. The answer is pretty clear to me. The defense can't be blamed that much.

Come on folks. 5 turnovers with two returned for Td's. No running game. The answer is pretty clear to me. The defense can't be blamed that much.

8/14 on 3rd down

4.7 yards per rush average by the Ravens...

the D sucked yesterday....

why we lost?

some bad play calling to start the game, this is why i dislike the "script" idea, if the script isnt working, and if you wont deviate from the script, you can be in the 2nd quarter before you run 15 off. plays

- the pass by bush was a bad call, we didnt need trick plays, we could have
done better with just playing our game,

turnovers, penalties - several penalties were "post bye week" but some of the false starts could have come from the fact we saw the best defense we have seen and probably will see all year - bye far - to illustrate this point - we have a better defense (statistically) than any defense we have played ( we are 13th, atl is 18th) baltimore is 3rd

the turnovers were just poor throws and poor protection

The way the ball bounced was a big factor -

the ball that deflected off of stecker - TD
the tip by craft that turned an int (fujita) to a TD (heap)

considering we lost by 13 how big are these plays, though no telling how the game would have been if these plays didnt happen

the good things about this game

lewis is back, now bush can concentrate on offense, he needs to not return punts - risk of injury and information overload is too high for him, he is a rookie after all

after 2 weeks of players possibly "eating the cheese" they were brought back to earth, luckily not against an nfc or nfc south opponent and should be hugry, angry going into tampa next week. - to be honest i wish we were going into atlanta next week

They came out looking terrified. I was gone and tivoed the game. The first series I said, oh we're done, they look tenative, they haven't looked tenative once this entire season. After Reggie fumbled I fast forwarded to the end I was so sure we got crushed. Then i came back and watched the 3 quarters that CBS showed, they went "to a more competitive game" at that point.

The Saints could have beaten the Ravens but they didn't play Payton ball today. They also assumed they could stop the run instead of doing what they usually do and make their whole defensive game plan all about stopping the run.

Of course dumb turnovers kill you every time and it killed us today.

It was just that awful game that most teams have at some point. The Bears had one the other week, they were just lucky enough that it was against the worst coach in the league "they are who we that they were!" and the defense and special teams saved the game. So this was our awful game and it was against a guy we'll likely never beat, Steve McNair. It's over, Tampa's next. We need to crush them, not win by a great return, we need to crush them. Play Payton ball for 4 quarters, get to 6-2 and seal this division by the 2nd week of December.

Dean I wish I could read your post, but my eyes can't seem to get past your avatar...

We just had a bad day all around. We were out of sync. The BYE week killed us. It took us out of sync. We looked like Halsett's Saints. We'll rebound though. I'm anxious to see how many people start calling us pretenders again.
I think the Ravens are a very good team and should go a long ways in the playoff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom