Why didn't Dak just run the play vs trying to spike it? (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
knowing full well this was gonna be too close for comfort, you take the snap and run the play instead

you can't end the game trying to spike ball and in turn running off the last second of the game, you just can't

it wouldn't have been ideal to run the play from under center, but it's better than the alternative that ultimately took place

for the record, the ball was snapped just in time before the clock went to all zeroes

Dak also made the critical mistake of moving the ball up a half yard just as the official was getting to the ball, and that forced the official to take extra time to replace the ball back to where it belonged

Last edited:
knowing full well this was gonna be too close for comfort, you take the snap and run the play instead

you can't end the game trying to spike ball and in turn running off the last second of the game, you just can't

it wouldn't have been ideal to run the play from under center, but it's better than the alternative that ultimately took place

for the record, the ball was snapped just in time before the clock went to all zeroes

Dak also made the critical mistake of moving the ball up a half yard just as the official was getting to the ball, and that forced the official to take extra time to replace the ball back to where it belonged
For the correct record, at 0:00, ball was NOT snapped

Dak started his slide at the 25, then the center placed the ball on the 23. After the ref fought his way thru the O line, he replaced the ball on the 24 in an attempt to give the boyz a chance. If he had made them (O line) move back to the 25, like he should have, it wouldn't even had been as close as it was. And don't say, as I've read some on here say, that they should have stopped the clock for him to place the ball. That's not how it works. Dak should have gotten down at the 30, that would have put the ref closer to the play, and they would have had another two ticks on the clock. Poor clock management/awareness by the QB does not necessitate an emergency on the part of the officials.

I read somewhere that they have practiced that play for those situations. It was not as bad as play as it happened to turn out to be. Had Dak met the ref behind the line of scrimmage and handed him the ball instead of trying to spot it himself and the center placing the ball where he wanted, he probably saves 2 seconds, which would have given enough time for another play. I am thinking DAK and/or McCarthy did not know the rule that the ref had to spot the ball himself, or at least touch it before the next play could happen.
Honestly it was a stupid play call, but it could have worked if done correctly. Either know to spot the ball correctly or have a second call ready so you do not have to spike it.
I want to say the rule for spiking, it has to be snapped with 2 seconds on the clock?

The play probably would've worked had Dak known the rule, but he didn't and the ending of the game falls on his shoulders. The play call wasn't bad since it did pick up the yards, but the execution (player) screwed it up.

Dak started his slide at the 25, then the center placed the ball on the 23. After the ref fought his way thru the O line, he replaced the ball on the 24 in an attempt to give the boyz a chance. If he had made them (O line) move back to the 25, like he should have, it wouldn't even had been as close as it was. And don't say, as I've read some on here say, that they should have stopped the clock for him to place the ball. That's not how it works. Dak should have gotten down at the 30, that would have put the ref closer to the play, and they would have had another two ticks on the clock. Poor clock management/awareness by the QB does not necessitate an emergency on the part of the officials.
Yep it's simple. Players are not allowed to spot the ball and for good reason. The center tried to get an extra 2 yards.

I read somewhere that they have practiced that play for those situations. It was not as bad as play as it happened to turn out to be. Had Dak met the ref behind the line of scrimmage and handed him the ball instead of trying to spot it himself and the center placing the ball where he wanted, he probably saves 2 seconds, which would have given enough time for another play. I am thinking DAK and/or McCarthy did not know the rule that the ref had to spot the ball himself, or at least touch it before the next play could happen.
Honestly it was a stupid play call, but it could have worked if done correctly. Either know to spot the ball correctly or have a second call ready so you do not have to spike it.
I want to say the rule for spiking, it has to be snapped with 2 seconds on the clock?
So they practiced the play, but didn't know the rule? If that's the case, they're more incompetent than I thought.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom