Why didn't Dak just run the play vs trying to spike it? (2 Viewers)

Yes a Moore play blessed off by HC two offensive coaches who did not know center cannot set ball for play....lol

His market value for possible HC just took a big hit
I mean, some of the mistake is on the C for placing the ball instead of handing to ref as well. Overall, just a big debacle on a huge stage. Poor coaching, poor player execution.

That said, I bet there are still teams out there willing to take a shot with Moore.

A little more food for thought.

Knowing this was the play, teams will routinely speak to the ref/refs about what they are planning to do.

The back judge should have been alerted.

Secondly, if you've practiced this play ad nauseam like you're saying Dak, you clear the way for the back judge to come through the line (and the center for that matter) to make it as easy as possible. How do you think you're going to spot it yourself and think you're going to be able to snap the ball.? You step back a couple of yards, you hand it to the hustling back judge (official tried his best) and then quickly get under center.

Also Dak alluded to the fact that he knew exactly how much time was left, which brings it all back to my point, just run the play, don't spike it.

No, it did not. Go to any YouTube video of the game, hit pause as the clock goes to 0:00----the ball is still on the ground, which is why the game was ended
sorry but had he run the play there's no way the refs would have overturned a game-winning touchdown by saying the clock was at zero when it was way too close to call

you do realize the ball just has to start in motion, meaning the ball usually goes forward and then backwards on the snap, so it can still be on the ground and the play would count? doesn't have to be in Dak's hands.

No, it did not. Go to any YouTube video of the game, hit pause as the clock goes to 0:00----the ball is still on the ground, which is why the game was ended
Best grab I could get from youtube. I clicked pause as soon as I saw the clock hit zero. The ball is barely visible, but it does look as if Dak had the ball in his hands before the clock hit 0.

when I first saw the grab I took, I thought the forward hand on the ground was that of the Dallas center holding the ball. so I thought he had not snapped the ball. But then I saw Dak's body position, which shows he was already backing away from the center.

HOWEVER, here is a twist...

That forward hand is not the center's... we know that Dak started sliding at the 27 as per previous pic, and we know that the ref moved the ball back from where the Dallas center placed it, a few inches to the 24th, even though he should've moved it back to the 27th. The thing is, the entire Dallas line had already lined up where the center placed the ball. When the ref spotted the ball a few inches back, only the center moved back, so at the time the ball was snapped, the entire o-line was offsides! That would've been a penalty and, since Dallas had no timeouts, a 10 sec runoff.

Either way, Dallas loses, and we delight in tasty Cowboys fans' tears.

snap.png

ref.png

Last edited:
Best grab I could get from youtube. I clicked pause as soon as I saw the clock hit zero. The ball is barely visible, but it does look as if Dak had the ball in his hands before the clock hit 0.

when I first saw the grab I took, I thought the forward hand on the ground was that of the Dallas center holding the ball. so I thought he had not snapped the ball. But then I saw Dak's body position, which shows he was already backing down from the center.

HOWEVER, here is a twist...

we know that Dak started sliding at the 27 as per previous pic, and we know that the ref moved the ball back from where the Dallas center placed it, a few inches to the 24th, even though he should've moved it back to the 27th. The thing is, the entire Dallas line had already lined up where the center placed the ball. When the ref spotted the ball a few inches back, only the center moved back, so at the time the ball was snapped, the entire o-line was offsides! That would've been a penalty and, since Dallas had no timeouts, a 10 sec runoff.

snap.png

ref.png
Excellent point.

He started the slide at :08.

IF……
1. everyone is in their spot ready to line up….(Lamb was middle of the field….he should have been right where the ball was out wide)

2. Had he stopped, took a knee, instead of wildly sliding 5 yards and coming up funny….

3. Hand to ref ….WHOM YOU TOLD BEFORE THE PLAY to expect it.

4. OL knows to allow a passage for the ref instead of blocking him out….

They could have easily had the ball in the 28…..a few seconds to spike it.
And could then run 4 verticals instead of a Hali Mary.

Those 1-4 have to be drilled in, practiced, and everyone in the same page. There was enough time if executed properly.

Not jus Dak, don’t forget 90 mil for a RB, n no telling HOW much $$$ for that “great” O line, n ALL that great talent at WR!

Yet they only scored 17 pts! Sad.

😂😂😂
terrific point here

money can't buy happiness and apparently an offense worth a damn come playoff time

knowing full well this was gonna be too close for comfort, you take the snap and run the play instead

you can't end the game trying to spike ball and in turn running off the last second of the game, you just can't

it wouldn't have been ideal to run the play from under center, but it's better than the alternative that ultimately took place

for the record, the ball was snapped just in time before the clock went to all zeroes

Dak also made the critical mistake of moving the ball up a half yard just as the official was getting to the ball, and that forced the official to take extra time to replace the ball back to where it belonged
Moot point! He didn't have enough time to do anything. He should have stopped running earlier so that he could have had at least 2-3 seconds left.

You could have realistically taken two shots in the end zone with 14 seconds left. Can you imagine this board and the reactions had Payton called that exact play?
A perfect execution of that play with prime time Brees at QB, might have gotten to the 33 yard line, Saints would have gotten to the line with 8 seconds, thrown a TD to "win" the game with 2 seconds and Saints Defense would have given up a 75 yard bomb to the TE for a TD to end the game.

I read somewhere that they have practiced that play for those situations. It was not as bad as play as it happened to turn out to be. Had Dak met the ref behind the line of scrimmage and handed him the ball instead of trying to spot it himself and the center placing the ball where he wanted, he probably saves 2 seconds, which would have given enough time for another play. I am thinking DAK and/or McCarthy did not know the rule that the ref had to spot the ball himself, or at least touch it before the next play could happen.
Honestly it was a stupid play call, but it could have worked if done correctly. Either know to spot the ball correctly or have a second call ready so you do not have to spike it.
I want to say the rule for spiking, it has to be snapped with 2 seconds on the clock?
If they didn't know that rule, then McCarthy should be fired and Dak cut. That rule was on display earlier in the game when the 9ers snapped the ball on the 4th and inches and got flagged because the ref wasn't set.

A perfect execution of that play with prime time Brees at QB, might have gotten to the 33 yard line, Saints would have gotten to the line with 8 seconds, thrown a TD to "win" the game with 2 seconds and Saints Defense would have given up a 75 yard bomb to the TE for a TD to end the game.
Why you have to hurt us like that

What most are also failing to acknowledge, is that even if there was enough time for another play, a TD pass was a longshot by any standard. Everyone would have been in the end zone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom