Why didn't Dak just run the play vs trying to spike it? (1 Viewer)

That is illegal and penalty will be called and the game world be over since its under 10 seconds..
Why is a lateral a penalty? He'd only need to have an offensive player in the area. I don't see anywhere in the rulebook where an attempted lateral would be illegal.

Did you not see the ref move the ball back almost a yard, but the line stayed where they are? If they are 1/2 yard past the ball, they are offsides in the natural zone..
correct, but then the center ended up moving that ball back up when he set the ball on it's tip, as is customary

I mean you do see that in the still shots that has been posted in this thread?

Why is a lateral a penalty? He'd only need to have an offensive player in the area. I don't see anywhere in the rulebook where an attempted lateral would be illegal.
If they didn't have the awareness to pull off the spike, what makes you think he would have the awareness to throw it close enough to an offensive player who wouldn't actually try to field it to make it go out of bounds?lol

If they didn't have the awareness to pull off the spike, what makes you think he would have the awareness to throw it close enough to an offensive player who wouldn't actually try to field it to make it go out of bounds?lol
True.
But it sure wouldn't be a bad thing to practice for future situations like this. :scratch:

If it's anything like the college rule, it's 5 yards and loss of down. There would also be a 10 second runoff ending the game.

However, on page 103 (of 272) it states: “A ball carrier may hand or pass the ball backward at any time, except to throw the ball intentionally out of bounds to conserve time. [The penalty for breaking the rule is] five yards from the spot of the foul; also loss of down.” The clock is started when the ball is ready for play (rule 3-4-3 says the clock restarts on the ready to play signal for “unfair clock tactics” penalties).

Watching the replay in slow motion, this is all on Dak as to why this failed, not the ref.

As Dak finally gets off the ground and is coming back though his own O line to prepare to spike the ball, he's looking dead at the ref that is frantically running in to put the ball in play. The ref is only 3 yards from the LOS at this point. Then inexplicably Dak gets behind his center and therefore gets directly in the path of this ref. Just bizarre that Dak did not realize he needed to let this ref get in place before he got into place behind center.

For Dak to try to put this on the refs is crappy and he's better than that. That was a pathetic showing for him at the press conference.

Last edited:
Watching the replay in slow motion, this is all on Dak as to why this failed, not the ref.

As Dak finally gets off the ground and is coming back though his own O line to prepare to spike the ball, he's looking dead at the ref that is frantically running in to put the ball in play. The ref is only 3 yards from the LOS at this point. Then inexplicably Dak gets behind his center and therefore gets directly in the path of this ref. Just bizarre that Dak did not realize he needed to let this ref get in place before he got into place behind center.

For Dak to try to put this on the refs is crappy and he's better than that. That was a pathetic showing for him at the press conference.
It's on Moore for even calling the play.

You could have realistically taken two shots in the end zone with 14 seconds left. Can you imagine this board and the reactions had Payton called that exact play?
OMG the pitchforks and torches would be running him out of town, rightly so.

Also maybe Dak forgot this wasn't college rules who knows. All I know is it was the dumbest play call since not giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the 2 yard line.

OMG the pitchforks and torches would be running him out of town, rightly so.

Also maybe Dak forgot this wasn't college rules who knows. All I know is it was the dumbest play call since not giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch on the 2 yard line.
That was horrible! (But I loved it.)
This was even worse.

It's on Moore for even calling the play.
if they do 2 things, it's pretty genius

1) tell the back judge what you're doing
2) get out of the way of said back judge to let him spot the ball

that saves at least 3 seconds

Dak just totally screwed it up by being in the way of the official trying to spot the ball

Did he really think they were going to let him run a play from his own spot? He's been playing football his whole life. He just lost his cool and panicked.

Did he really think they were going to let him run a play from his own spot? He's been playing football his whole life. He just lost his cool and panicked.
exactly, he panicked

it's on him

I still can't believe he would still try to spike the ball knowing full well the clock was near zero. His answer? The refs screwed this up.

This is almost as bad as the Romo fumble of the snap on the extra point attempt to force OT vs Seattle way back in the day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom