Why didn't Payton/Allen bench Lattimore and Crawley? (1 Viewer)

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
It was painfully obvious after the first half Lattimore and Crawley could not or would not cover Evans or Jackson so why didn't the Saints coaching
staff bench both guys? I mean Payton had no problem benching Ingram when he fumbled twice in a game. Both corners had already given TDs and
multiple 20 plus yards plays. What did they have to lose? You were not seeing any results with them in the game. The goal is winning the games and
the sparing anyone's feelings. The starters were not getting the job done, Sorry but that falls on the coaches and I guess Payton is 100% correct we he
said blame for the loss starts with him. It's too bad under this coaching staff we seem to have to learn things the hard way all the time.

Why didnt he bench cam jordan and the line backers? Who was putting pressure on the qb? Crawley and Lattimore?

They should've benched the starting 11. The safeties were worse than the CBs. At least you could SEE the CBs getting beat. The safeties were MIA. They brought back the Mark Simoneau/Scott Shanle invisibility cloaks.

Because playing 2nd Stringers on defense against starters is how you get 60 hung up on you. Jeezus, why can't it be sunday already.

It was painfully obvious after the first half Lattimore and Crawley could not or would not cover Evans or Jackson so why didn't the Saints coaching
staff bench both guys? I mean Payton had no problem benching Ingram when he fumbled twice in a game. Both corners had already given TDs and
multiple 20 plus yards plays. What did they have to lose? You were not seeing any results with them in the game. The goal is winning the games and
the sparing anyone's feelings. The starters were not getting the job done, Sorry but that falls on the coaches and I guess Payton is 100% correct we he
said blame for the loss starts with him. It's too bad under this coaching staff we seem to have to learn things the hard way all the time.
Everything stunk.

Can't single out those guys though they lost their matchups too.

No pass rush, no help.

Everything stunk.

Can't single out those guys though they lost their matchups too.

No pass rush, no help.

The coverages are married to the fronts. If Payton mentioned that their rush plans weren't proper then it means the coverages deployed behind them didn't help the process either. When a defense is THAT bad singling out individual players is futile..have to look deep at the staff and Sean acknowledged as much on Monday by saying they needed to get better.

And that would leave Justin Hardee and Patrick Robinson I guess as the starters, And who would play nickel? P.J. Williams was inactive. So, if you bench Lattimore and Crawley, who substitutes? Maybe I am forgetting someone, but Hardee is a very good special teamer who barely plays cornerback.

Edit: forgot Maulet. So, Hardee and Maulet would be the corners. :scratch:

Last edited:
Payton and Allen should have benched themselves. That entire unit and scheme were awful.

Why didnt he bench cam jordan and the line backers? Who was putting pressure on the qb? Crawley and Lattimore?
I think Underhill pointed out that Fitz was getting rid of the ball, on average, at like 1.8 seconds. There's not many pass rushes that can alter that. So it was all on the secondary and they were getting torched.

I mentioned this Sunday and it's the scariest thing about the Bucs game -- their offensive coordinator found something in our defense and exploited it with surgical precision. Allen either failed to tweak the coverages in the off-season or failed to make adjustments after the Bucs dropped 31 on them in 2 quarters. Either scenario is scary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom