Why didn't SP go for the 2 pts conversion? (1 Viewer)

It's a totally different dynamic when you have to march down the field while trailing. Offenses press more. Defenses are more pumped up, etc.

I would not of wanted to do that final drive with Carolina having just taken the lead.

There was literally nothing to lose for the offense that last drive. They could do whatever they wanted. Run clock, conserve clock, use the middle, use the sidelines. And you are at home, and you still might win the coin flip and go score a TD.

Being tied was way, way better than being down at that point. Kicking it gave them quite a few different ways to win it.

That said, if Brees got the look he liked for the 2pt play call (which they didn't), I'd have had no problem with them going for 2. Just like I wouldn't have been mad if the Fleener jet sweep didn't work.

At the score 37-30 SP changed the call??? That would have put the game away and I doubt Carolina would have gone for 2 pts conversion themseleves with the score 36-37 (should we have failed our own 2 pts conversion - especially as there was plenty of time on the clock

I was furious and anxious when SP changed his mind! Thoughts??

If he went for the 2 or conversion and missed we likely lose the game. See the Raiders game.

As someone mentioned previously, he talked about it in the postgame presser. He said there was a look from the D that they wanted and when they didn't get it, they kicked instead. He said if they would have given the look they wanted, they would have ran their 2-pt play.

i dont get why he wanted to go for 2 and then burn a timeout

Bigger question is wasting a very valuable timeout, one that we surely could have used on that last drive, allowing us to get in much closer fg range.

Yea taking a delay of game and saving the timeout would have been a better choice in that situation.

I get the wanting to go for two and I admit I got pretty excited seeing Drew stay out there. What was frustrating was having to use the timeout so late in the game that wasn't used to conserve clock. It all worked out, but we've been burned by poor use of timeouts in previous games and not having enough or any for a final drive. Glad we kicked the xp, and glad the offense was able to get into FG range. That extra timeout would have been nice tho.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom