Why didn't SP go for the 2 pts conversion? (1 Viewer)

Great Dane

He who dares wins
Reaction score
At the score 37-30 SP changed the call??? That would have put the game away and I doubt Carolina would have gone for 2 pts conversion themseleves with the score 36-37 (should we have failed our own 2 pts conversion - especially as there was plenty of time on the clock

I was furious and anxious when SP changed his mind! Thoughts??

Well....it was the right call. You're up 8 so they have to score and make a 2 pt conversion. Of course there really is no doubt as a fan they would give up the 2 points. But the coaches didn't like the look they got and took the right play. Coach can't think like a fan

At the score 37-30 SP changed the call??? That would have put the game away and I doubt Carolina would have gone for 2 pts conversion themseleves with the score 36-37 (should we have failed our own 2 pts conversion - especially as there was plenty of time on the clock

I was furious and anxious when SP changed his mind! Thoughts??

He made the right call. It's not even close.

Mathematically, the 2 point conversion has a history of much lower than a 50% success rate.

So you have 2 options.....

1. Attempt to put it away with a difficult to make 2, miss it and allowing a rather easy chance to tie for them if they score a touchdown (they'd just be down 7).

2. Make the easy PAT, go up 38-30, and have THEM be the ones that have to score AND make the difficult to make 2.

It was the right decision all day, they just converted on the 2.

Of course if you went for 2 and made it, then you salt the game away, but the risk doesn't come close to outweighing the reward.

Both coaches were playing to win. At 37-36 the Panthers definitely would have gone for and gotten 2, as the final score indicates. SP played it safe and got the win.

Both coaches were playing to win. At 37-36 the Panthers definitely would have gone for and gotten 2, as the final score indicates. SP played it safe and got the win.

The Panthers would not have gone for 2 in a game where they had all of the momentum.

Tie it and they have a great chance of winning it OT.

The other line of thinking is we were so tired in the legs that we weren't stopping anything, so a 2 might have been easy.

Fair point but I still disagree

- Even if we miss the 2 pt conv and Patners in fact go for 2 and succeed - we still had to march down for the win no matter what....... and that is what happened
- Th saints are better than 50/50 on 2 pts conversion and have the second best red zone offense this year
- I say "role the dice" and show some confident in our offense.
- The risk was still pretty low

Fair point but I still disagree

- Even if we miss the 2 pt conv and Patners in fact go for 2 and succeed - we still had to march down for the win no matter what....... and that is what happened
- Th saints are better than 50/50 on 2 pts conversion and have the second best red zone offense this year
- I say "role the dice" and show some confident in our offense.
- The risk was still pretty low

It's a totally different dynamic when you have to march down the field while trailing. Offenses press more. Defenses are more pumped up, etc.

I would not of wanted to do that final drive with Carolina having just taken the lead.

Brees called the timeout and mentioned something to Payton that he saw in the defensive alignment. So I think it was a situation where the Panthers had a better than average shot to stop it, so they chose to lay up, so to speak.

He said in his post game press conference, there was a look that they were wanting from the defense on that play. He said they didnt show that particular look so they kicked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eh... I'm glad, if we'd have been up by 1 or 2 they'd have onsided... and I'm not that sure we would have been on the winning end.

Bigger question is wasting a very valuable timeout, one that we surely could have used on that last drive, allowing us to get in much closer fg range.

remember the Raiders game... if Saints miss the 2 pts then you have a chance for a repeat of the Raiders game. Riviera going for the win instead of the tie.

The Panthers would not have gone for 2 in a game where they had all of the momentum.

Tie it and they have a great chance of winning it OT.

The other line of thinking is we were so tired in the legs that we weren't stopping anything, so a 2 might have been easy.

The Raiders did, and they definitely had the momentum in the 4th qtr.

He said in his post game press conference, there was a look that they were wanting from the defense on that play. He said they didnt show that particular look so they kicked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup

"I had one look we were dying for and if we got it, we were going to go for two," Payton said of the decision to call timeout after the Saints got in formation for a two-point play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom