Why didn't the Saints wait to IR Hoomanawuni? (1 Viewer)

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just asked Mike Triplett on Twitter why Bud Dupree, who was placed on IR today, can return midseason, but Hoomanawuni cannot return from IR. He replied that according to his understanding of the rule, starting today a player who is IR'd is eligible to return. So, do we know how serious Hoomanawuni's injury was, because it didn't seem that severe? And if it wasn't, why didn't we wait until today to place him on IR? Nick Underhill also replied to me by saying that the rule is kind of unclear and that he was seeking clarity on it.

I do think the rule is unclear.

Even it is unclear who is to say that the injury wasn't season ending?

Until this season, if you wanted to use IR - Designated to Return (the 6 week flavor) on a player, you had to designate it when you used it. This season, you don't have to designate a the player for return when you IR him, you can do it later.

So, Hoom may or may not be back in 6 weeks, the team doesn't have to decide until then.

Make sense?

I do think the rule is unclear.

Even it is unclear who is to say that the injury wasn't season ending?

It could be...but we have no idea. Looked like the worse that it could have been was a broken ankle. Typically that is a 6-week recovery. But I'm not a doctor and I don't know what his situation was.

Until this season, if you wanted to use IR - Designated to Return (the 6 week flavor) on a player, you had to designate it when you used it. This season, you don't have to designate a the player for return when you IR him, you can do it later.

So, Hoom may or may not be back in 6 weeks, the team doesn't have to decide until then.

Make sense?

Well, Triplette, and now Underhill, both are saying that it was the TIMING of Hoomanawuni being placed on IR that is the reason he can't return.

Well, Triplette, and now Underhill, both are saying that it was the TIMING of Hoomanawuni being placed on IR that is the reason he can't return.

Well that's...weird. Sorry my reply didn't answer your question.

I think I remember reading about this rule a few weeks ago and for a team to return a player from IR he had to be on the original 53 man roster.

The Saints wouldn't have wanted to use on Hooman anyway because they can only use it once and another player might get injured in the next few weeks of the season that they would rather try to return.

There is no designated to return anymore. Any one player on IR can return to practice after 6 weeks on regular season IR and can play after 8 weeks. Teams don't have to guess which player is going to get healthy anymore. If one does, he can return. If two or more do, they have to pick one, or save it hoping the one one they want get healthy.

But for most, if you go on IR, you're out for the season.

I think I remember reading about this rule a few weeks ago and for a team to return a player from IR he had to be on the original 53 man roster.

The Saints wouldn't have wanted to use on Hooman anyway because they can only use it once and another player might get injured in the next few weeks of the season that they would rather try to return.

That makes sense, but what if he is our most significant long-term injury all season? I think he's very important to our team You don't think the team thinks he's that important? Again, this is all speculation because we don't know what his injury was, which is frustrating.

Make sense?

That's not the question, though. It was reported when he was first IR'd that he wasn't eligible to return. That's where the confusion is.

That makes sense, but what if he is our most significant long-term injury all season? I think he's very important to our team You don't think the team thinks he's that important? Again, this is all speculation because we don't know what his injury was, which is frustrating.

For the sake of argument, let's say Hooman has an injury that will be resolved in 6 weeks. The saints would have had to put him on the 53 man roster and cut someone else... maybe Hightower or Murphy on offense, or Mabry on defense. Even then, if my memory serves me correctly, Hooman would not have been able to practice until weeks 6 and be active in a game until week 8. Would Hooman be worth a week 8 return?

Maybe the Saints want to see how Rankins' recovery is going. If it's fast, then they keep him on the roster as is, if its slower than expected then they put him on IR sometime soon and look at using the one return from IR that they have this season on Rankins. Maybe how the Saints play first few games will go into this equation for Rankins as well.

All just speculation, of course.

That's not the question, though. It was reported when he was first IR'd that he wasn't eligible to return. That's where the confusion is.

I think he wasn't eligible to return because he was not put on IR during "regular season." He was put on IR during preseason.

I thought his injury looked pretty bad. Rewinded it and watched it couple times. Not gonna say what I thought it was to avoid bad juju, but let's just say it didn't look pretty. Could be a really bad sprain. Bummed out cause I love me some Hooman.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom