Why didn't we run down the clock on the last drive? (1 Viewer)

Nothing wrong with him scoring quick. But when you line up for the 2pt play and run the wrong route, that’s a problem

And then when the field compresses and we don't score, then what? No one takes a TD off the board to try to burn an extra 20 seconds off the clock.

The recipe to win in a situation like that is a mixture of scoring, clock management and defense. Obviously we couldn't depend on the passing defense, so we had to score and control the clock. We failed to control the clock enough, and I think after they review the film they will probably see they should have run the ball once or twice and maybe used the sidelines and TOs to insure they didn't run out of time.

The recipe to win in a situation like that is a mixture of scoring, clock management and defense. Obviously we couldn't depend on the passing defense, so we had to score and control the clock. We failed to control the clock enough, and I think after they review the film they will probably see they should have run the ball once or twice and maybe used the sidelines and TOs to insure they didn't run out of time.

Well, no sheet in hindsight you can watch film and say that'd have been preferreble. But you play in the moment to score the TD in that situation. Running the ball could have easily led to us not scoring at all. You can't second guess that kind of stuff.

And what if SF takes away the sideline passes?

Too much is being taken for granted here. Scoring a TD in a situation like that is extremely difficult no matter how you get it. TQS did the right thing. Especially considering SF had 3 timeouts.

Well, no shirt in hindsight you can watch film and say that'd have been preferreble. But you play in the moment to score the TD in that situation. Running the ball could have easily led to us not scoring at all. You can't second guess that kind of stuff.
I'm not talking about the play calling, I'm talking about running a play with 29 seconds on the shot clock.

With a timeout and the ball inside the 30 we needed to milk the clock. Let most of that 29 seconds go.

Then you're looking at SF with only 25 seconds left to get 3. Not 52 seconds.

Big difference.

That's irrelevant with payton though. Hes been running the same plays all year that dont work. Lesson learned my arse

We scored 46 points. If the same plays aren't working, I'd like to see how many we'd score if they were? We lost, it's gonna be ok. Beating the Rams in the regular season last year didn't get us to the Super Bowl in the end. Still a lot of football left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom