Why didn't we run down the clock on the last drive? (1 Viewer)

When you know that the 49ers were only going to have to kick a field goal and you have multiple time outs to control the clock, you have to run the clock down more than 1:00. In fact, I would say you have to run it down to 30 seconds or less.

Run Murray a few times. I know it's easier said than done when we needed a TD, but obviously with 1 minute remaining the chances of the 49ers getting a field goal against our Defense with 3 time outs was like 80%. You have to play the odds, and run the clock down.
Yall sound like us in the Superbowl. it's like you wanna jump through the screen and say.....get out da way. Let me do this lol

Threads like these are stupid. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

We had them 4th and 2.
That's what I was trying to tell my family on Atl site. You never, ever want to lose just because. That's a weak $$$mentality. A losing mentality. I wouldn't care who that draft pick was. But I guess I didn't get the memo 40 years ago lol

Has any team needing at least 4 points, inside the 2 minute warning, ever chosen not to score a TD?
I can think of teams behind 1 or 2 points, kneeling inside the 1, and running out time for a FG. Or when teams are ahead who would chose to take the time off. But I can't think of any example of a team needing a TD, choosing to wait a bit and hope they can still get one.

I can think of examples going wrong with this strategy in any scenario. Notably when the Falcons were in FG range against the Pats in the Superbowl, and they messed it up.

Has any team needing at least 4 points, inside the 2 minute warning, ever chosen not to score a TD?
I can think of teams behind 1 or 2 points, kneeling inside the 1, and running out time for a FG. Or when teams are ahead who would chose to take the time off. But I can't think of any example of a team needing a TD, choosing to wait a bit and hope they can still get one.

I can think of examples going wrong with this strategy in any scenario. Notably when the Falcons were in FG range against the Pats in the Superbowl, and they messed it up.
Right! Not too many I've ever seen in my days. It can be a game killer quick! You must be one confident team lol, or one dumb team. I would have loved to think we were confident in that superbowl . ....but lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing you guys are missing is we were driving at will at this point, you bleed the clock and play the risk of not scoring. You don’t let the opposing team get another drive especially not with a minute left, that’s the difference between a greatly coached team and a team that isn’t coached great..

It almost makes me feel like the 49ers were told to miss those tackles on purpose so they can get the ball back with 3 timeouts and against a vulnerable defense

On rare occasions, teams have done this in the past, and with the way our secondary had been playing it wouldn't surprise me.

The thing you guys are missing is we were driving at will at this point, you bleed the clock and play the risk of not scoring. You don’t let the opposing team get another drive especially not with a minute left, that’s the difference between a greatly coached team and a team that isn’t coached great..
Here is how each of our 2nd half drives ended (prior to the final drive):

FG
Fumble
FG
Turnover on downs
TD

So no, we weren't scoring TDs at will like you seem to be asserting.

It's possible to hold the opinion that taking the TD at any point was the right thing, and yet to also realize that we left plenty of time on the clock. But in a situation like the one we were in, beggars can't be choosers.

Because it's a Saints tradition to leave just enough time left on the clock for the other team to score in some last second, gut wrenching way.

Lol, how many times have we seen it? And then it comes down to a 4th and 2 because of course. Had to get our hopes up.

This thread has me question if some of you have ever played any competive sports. "Bleed the clock and play the risk of not scoring" What?

Score when you can in that situation. Yes Saints offense was going well today but did some of you act like we scored a TD on every possession yesterday.

TQS should have been tackled. What if we did burn that Extra 29 seconds before that play and TQS is tackled? Imagine if Payton does slow play and doesn't score?

Questioning the offense at all yesterday is nuts IMO. 46 against #1 defense.

Defense needs to be able to make that stop with 1 minute and 3 TDs and they almost did. Make a tackle without a facemask at least. Double Kittle in that situation.

Key take aways for me is defense needs to get better against ghost motion and misdirection plays. Also, if Cam just stays with Mostert that WR TD pass is a big SF loss.

Calling that fake punt in that scenario was silly to me as well. Yes he was held but just to big of a risk.

This thread has me question if some of you have ever played any competive sports. "Bleed the clock and play the risk of not scoring" What?

Score when you can in that situation. Yes Saints offense was going well today but did some of you act like we scored a TD on every possession yesterday.

TQS should have been tackled. What if we did burn that Extra 29 seconds before that play and TQS is tackled? Imagine if Payton does slow play and doesn't score?

Questioning the offense at all yesterday is nuts IMO. 46 against #1 defense.

Defense needs to be able to make that stop with 1 minute and 3 TDs and they almost did. Make a tackle without a facemask at least. Double Kittle in that situation.

Key take aways for me is defense needs to get better against ghost motion and misdirection plays. Also, if Cam just stays with Mostert that WR TD pass is a big SF loss.

Calling that fake punt in that scenario was silly to me as well. Yes he was held but just to big of a risk.

Totally agree.

Offense has one responsibility-- score.
Defense has one responsibility -- prevent scores.

The offense did their job at the end.

The defense failed to do their job at the end.

Because no one plans to break two tackles and score.
This is the only thing that makes sense to me. That TD was really unlikely, especially considering it was TQS and he hasn't been a tackle breaking, defender shaking receiver after catching the ball, well, ever.

As soon as TQS went into the end zone I yelled at everyone in the house... "Too much time"!

We hadn't stopped them all day... no reason to believe we do it with less than a minute now.

Can't blame the offense... they have to score if the opportunity is there no matter the time left... you'd prefer to do it right when the clock hits 0:00... but since there are no guarantees... you take it when you can get it... and hope your defense does it's job... which they did not obviously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom