Why didn't we run down the clock on the last drive? (1 Viewer)

Why? Because you cannot know that you will score, even from the one-foot line. To claim to know otherwise is a fallacy.
We proved that by going for a stupid 2 point conversion in the first quarter just because it was moved up a few feet. Without that stupidity, we could have just kicked the XP on that final TQS TD and we'd have gone to overtime.

We proved that by going for a stupid 2 point conversion in the first quarter just because it was moved up a few feet. Without that stupidity, we could have just kicked the XP on that final TQS TD and we'd have gone to overtime.

And maybe it gets blocked. You cannot say with any certainty.

I'm used to watching Oklahoma do this.

And It did cross my mind but I was like we have a DEFENSE.....
I was obviously wrong.

I'm sorry... did you see the way the D was playing all yesterday? It was basically a given that they were going to get points if time was left on the board.

So we are at this point presuming that TQS should have thought "man my D sucks, I should take a knee at the 1" as he's unexpectedly breaking tackles in the heat of a play.

I mean, it's an argument, it's just not a realistic one.

Also, theres was a good chance we couldnt score.
You take what you can get.
I rather score a touchdown than not.

ESPECIALLY with the horrible officiating against us. IF TQS lays down on the 5, we could have had 1st and goal of the 25-yard line after 2 fictitious holding calls against us.

So we are at this point presuming that TQS should have thought "man my D sucks, I should take a knee at the 1" as he's unexpectedly breaking tackles in the heat of a play.

I mean, it's an argument, it's just not a realistic one.

I get it's not realistic. But at the same time, we were basically playing without a D. What does it say when our second corner and our safety are both known liabilities? We would have been better off letting them score quick and getting the ball back w/ like 30 seconds left lol.

I get it's not realistic. But at the same time, we were basically playing without a D. What does it say when our second corner and our safety are both known liabilities? We would have been better off letting them score quick and getting the ball back w/ like 30 seconds left lol.

I had my doubts we'd hold them as well and said in the chat we scored too soon. But it is what it is. It's almost impossible to micromanage the clock to such a degree when you have to score a TD or lose.

Sucks, but I think we'll get another shot at them.

The recipe to win in a situation like that is a mixture of scoring, clock management and defense. Obviously we couldn't depend on the passing defense, so we had to score and control the clock. We failed to control the clock enough, and I think after they review the film they will probably see they should have run the ball once or twice and maybe used the sidelines and TOs to insure they didn't run out of time.

Or maybe Michael Thomas doesn't fall down and catches the ball which would've had the clock keep moving.

Nope instead of TQS scoring CSP should have told him if you get close just get down to run time down. Coaching was putrid. You know leaving time on the clock is horrible with this team.
You got to be kidding me. If he takes a knee and the on the next play or 2 we fumble it away, or fail trying to run it in, or the refs let SF get away with DPI and DHolding on the last play of the game that prevents us from scoring, the first thing everyone would say is, “Payton’s dumb for telling TQS to take knee, you’ve got to score while you can”.

I had my doubts we'd hold them as well and said in the chat we scored too soon. But it is what it is. It's almost impossible to micromanage the clock to such a degree when you have to score a TD or lose.

Sucks, but I think we'll get another shot at them.
So you're saying Payton couldn't communicate with Brees in the huddle, hey let's let this play clock run down under 5 seconds before we snap it at the 23 yard line of the 49ers? We really needed 1:20 with a timeout to go only 23 yards? The fact that we covered 52 yards of real estate in roughly 1 minute didn't trigger something in Payton's mind that we needed to chew some of this clock while we have a chance? Without affecting a single play call from that point forward? We could have left the 49ers only 25 seconds.

That's all on Sean Payton. He's seen this movie play out in Minnesota and again vs the Rams last year. And in 2011 against the 49ers. So you have you ask yourself why hasn't he tried to get any better at clock management? To say in the press conference that he doesn't know how to slow down a drive/score is embarrassing. About as sad as when Les Miles said they would consider hiring someone to stand beside him to help with clock management late in games. How much more heartache is he going to endure, especially in the playoffs?

Last edited:
So you're saying Payton couldn't communicate with Brees in the huddle, hey let's let this play clock run down under 5 seconds before we snap it at the 23 yard line of the 49ers? We really needed 1:20 with a timeout to go only 23 yards? The fact that we covered 52 yards of real estate in roughly 1 minute didn't trigger something in Payton's mind that we needed to chew some of this clock while we have a chance? Without affecting a single play call from that point forward? We could have left the 49ers only 25 seconds.

That's all on Sean Payton. He's seen this movie play out in Minnesota and again vs the Rams last year. And in 2011 against the 49ers. So you have you ask yourself why hasn't he tried to get any better at clock management? To say in the press conference that he doesn't know how to slow down a drive/score is embarrassing. About as sad as when Les Miles said they would consider hiring someone to stand beside him to help with clock management late in games. How much more heartache is he going to endure, especially in the playoffs?

No, you can't tell Brees to run the clock down to under 5 seconds when you are on the 23 yard line and a score is not guaranteed. Two completed passes that don't lead to a TD and that clock could be at 20 seconds in a hurry. Then you are rushing and can't throw in the middle of the field or run the ball. Had he done that and we ran out of time to score, you'd be right here whining about how much of an idiot Payton is at managing the clock.

We threw a 10 yard pass to TQS who then broke two tackles and scored. Had he caught that pass and gotten tackled, we'd have likely taken 30 more seconds off the clock and that was probably the plan. It is what it is and the level at which you are trying to micromanage the situation is stupid.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom