Why do coaches not understand clock management? (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
How in the hell does Rex Ryan leave Landshark Stadium with 2 timeouts in his pocket?

Does he have such a big ego that he was sure his defense would stop Miami and force a FG?

With 1:45 seconds to go, the Dolphins were on the Jets 15 yard line. Certainly time was of no consequence to Miami at that point.

I was watching and thinking to myself you gotta start using your timeouts. You have to assume they score the touchdown.

If he had called the timeouts, the Jets would have had nearly 1:30 on the clock in which to try and come back and score a touchdown.

He has too much faith in his defense to assume that. He was hoping they hold, time runs out, and that is the game.

He mentioned in his press conference that he thought there was no way they would score.

that they would score a TD, correct?

as badly as they made that D look in the 4th quarter

good grief

I'll try to find a link. I agree that it was poor clock management, you have to use timeouts there.

Well...it almost worked, didn't it? ;)

That wildcat in the hands of Miami is looking more and more like a real nightmare.

by using timeouts he would've allowed the dolphins more plays to get into the endzone and a better chance to score because of the extra clock time.....when they got inside the 10 there was nothing he could do anyway.....there wasnt enough time to score even if they got the ball back

As mentioned, he said he thought there was no way the Fins would score. Love the confidence but hate the illusion that he thinks the D is as good as it was when he was in BAL. <O:p</O:p

I'm having difficulty understanding the thought process. He thought the defense would hold so he didn't use his timeouts? Well that's all fine and dandy if you're up 4 and the Dolphins HAVE to score a touchdown, but they weren't and the Dolphins didn't. They were up 3 and a field goal still would have forced OT.

I can see using that strategy if the Dolphins were beyond the 30 yard line, but they got themselves into easy field goal range with a good portion of the game remaining. Even if the defense had held they still could have kicked a tying field goal. Shouldn't Rex Ryan still have wanted the ball back with enough time to try to mount a game winning drive instead of going into the crapshoot that is NFL overtime football?

If he would have used his timeouts when they had first and goal inside the 10 they probably would have had a solid 50-60 seconds to try and comeback. Still a longshot, but certainly possible.

The way it played out at the end made it a very difficult decision. When the Jets had a 3-5 going into the 2 min. warning I would have taken one to make them take that snap prior to the break.

After that I think you wanted the clock to run to try and limit Miami from running the ball.

jets are tied with the 4th most INTs in the league

same with fumbles forced and tied for 3rd most fumbles recovered in the league

they are pretty good at creating turnovers and the dolphins were passing the ball still

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom