Why do I have a feeling Saints going cheap in free agency (1 Viewer)

Ian Gold and Dan Morgan, you got to be kiding me. Start using more money benson. Here me out. Where is Vilma?

I pointed this out on another thread, but we really need to calm down here. Free agency hasn't even started and we are panicing....or at least some around here are. The rest of the free agent pool we can not touch until after free agency starts on Friday(I believe that is the start date). Why don't we wait and see. I have no problem going after some of these. That doesn't mean it will prevent us from going after someone else.

Also keep in mind that a player like Vilma might be cut if the Jets can't find a trading partner. Predraft tons of players are "shopped" for draft picks. The asking price is usually high and then right before or early into TC they get cut. I'm not against giving up a pick for a young guy like Vilma (if he passes a physical) but why do it if you don't have to?

My three favorites are out there. WR Johnson, DT Starks, and CB Florence. Young upgrades that won't break the bank. The Saints NEED two of those going into the draft.

It won't take cash to land Vilma. Look at our roster, we have no players that we can give up that are worth anything to them. It will cost us draft picks. I can see why me might be hesitant to give up a mid rounder for him.

I think its worth a pick .. we know what a healthy Vilma can do.... with all these high tech knee surgeries..they can put the knee back together better than before... look at Mcgahee... I thought his career was over from that Championship game injury... The surgeons put him back together and he is a highly productive RB ..

Bring in Vilma.. check out his knee .. if it checks out as repairable .. or repaired.. give him the $$ and give up the pick .. its that simple...he is the potientially best LBer on the market right now...

Ian Gold and Dan Morgan, you got to be kiding me. Start using more money benson. Here me out. Where is Vilma?

Besides Briggs or Samuel, who do you want us to go after? Vilma isn't a matter of money . . . it's a matter of trade (and his health is very questionable at this point).

My three favorites are out there. WR Johnson, DT Starks, and CB Florence. Young upgrades that won't break the bank. The Saints NEED two of those going into the draft.

This is a good list. But lots of Saints fans want the team to spend crazy money on "names". They'll only be happy if we went all Washington Redskins by signing Briggs and Samuel. These same people would then complain mid season "Our Defense still sucks, why didn't get a DT and another CB?" and then next offseason they'll be saying "Loomis was stupid for spending so much money on just two player. Now we don't have enough cap space to sign anybody else".......

Good to see some posters come to Benson's defense regarding spending money. He doesn't have the widest opening in his pocketbook, but his is not the tightwad some accuse him of being.

Ask Brees, McAllister, Bush, and Grant if Benson is cheap. This team has a number of large contracts (and other than Brees, one may wonder what it actually gains from them). Plus, I don't think that the #10 pick will be signed cheaply.

Good to see some posters come to Benson's defense regarding spending money. He doesn't have the widest opening in his pocketbook, but his is not the tightwad some accuse him of being.

I agree. He'll pay if his people tell him to. We're just not a team that can chase down every big name free agent on a whim. He'll spend, he's just not wasteful.

Define cheap. I don't see us giving cap-busting deals to guys like Samuel or Briggs when we still need to focus on new deals for some of our young guys.

However, I would bet we'll make a push for a couple guys at need positions. Fortunately, or FO has shown they're willing to be creative (trading for McKenzie, making a serious run at Dre Bly) to fill holes, so I'm confident they'll bring in some help. But I don't expect (nor hope) that we'll break the bank on any one player.

I agree, I think we will be players in Free Agency, but I think the inpact player will come via trade, not signing...I think most of the "big" contracts will go to resigning our own guys.

My gut feeling is that Briggs and Samuel, although they are good players, might not be as successful outside their present systems. Or at least least not play up to the salaries they may get.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom