Why do I still feel angry? (2 Viewers)

I'm still feeling that pit in my stomach from the refs botching those calls and nearly costing us the game.

We won, but the NFL has to get better than this. It has to. You can not mess the clock up before half and cost us a legit FG opportunity and you can't call that garbage roughing call in that spot.

I'm sure my nerves just need a minute, but dang I was so ready to be infuriated and then Brees and Lutz pull off the miracle. That's some serious swing in emotions.
You are feeling angry because the other 59 minutes & 58 seconds didn't change just because the last 2 seconds was wonderful. A lot of stuff before that moment needs to be corrected if we're not going to see a lot more misery & angst in the future.

May I suggest that we all try to dwell on some positives.
1. The Saints are 1-0
2. The league sees that there is still a problem that fans won't tolerate forever
3. The Falcons blew a 25-point lead in the Superbowl and still suck.

Yup. Leading by three with less than two minutes left and you let their best receiver run free on a go route? Dumb and how you get beat in a last second “heartbreaking” loss. If not for Lutz’s monster leg this would’ve been just another last second loss. I’m happy with win but did they have to make it that interesting?
Aw, C'mon. I thought it was awfully sporting of the Saints to let the Texans enjoy a late lead in the game. Even if it was for only :37 of game time. :)

I’m angry not just because of what they stole from us, but because of their practices after the fact I have lost faith in a game and league that I have invested 50 years in to.. I’m still mad too, and I don’t know that it can be fixed. I’m trying.

Of THIS magnitude? Hell, if they didn’t buzz in in the NFC championship game....

Nothing they could do in the NFCCG - it was not reviewable.

But Monday night it was the ONLY game in progress and they could/should have buzzed and corrected the error - they just didn't.

2. The league sees that there is still a problem that fans won't tolerate forever
Do they?...Really? Because I see nothing that indicates they are one bit concerned nor that they are doing ANYTHING to correct the problem or appease the fans.

Do they?...Really? Because I see nothing that indicates they are one bit concerned nor that they are doing ANYTHING to correct the problem or appease the fans.
Of course they see it. It's practically headline news after every officiating faux pas.
But seeing it and wanting to appease the fans are two different things.

Of course they see it. It's practically headline news after every officiating faux pas.
But seeing it and wanting to appease the fans are two different things.
That was my point exactly, not that they don’t see it, but that they obviously think that we will tolerate it forever.

That was my point exactly, not that they don’t see it, but that they obviously think that we will tolerate it forever.
True, they seem to enjoy the controversy.

But one thing for sure is that they are not in favor of overturning the initial judgments of their officiating crews. They started this review experiment merely to make it look like they are trying to make the correct calls. But it is backfiring badly on them. Frankly it would have been a whole lot better if they had put an 'invisible' booth official that could have privately called down to the field to the head official and let him know that the initial call was questionable and needs to be reviewed. That way it would have appeared that the officials would have been correcting their own mistake and not been hung out to dry for being incompetent.

The reviews are rarely seen/concluded the same way by everyone and so the officials always come off looking 'exposed' due to the way it's now being handled. I'm sure that the league would much prefer that things went back to letting the officials just call it as they see it and let folks accept that not every call will be perfect. Right now it seems that officials are no longer confident about what to call and what not to call due to every call being so scrutinized. It's a no win situation for the refs even if they are really trying to get it right.

Last edited:
As long as Dennis Allen is the Saints D coach we're going to see these type of games. I lost track of how many 3rd and longs the Saints D gave up, don't even get me started on the 2 play, 75 yard drive. The Saints have knowingly chosen to have an average to mediocre defensive backfield b/c as long as the have Brees they will win most games. We will continue to give up 3rd and longs, give up drives late in the half, and continue to provide opposing players with the best games of their careers as long as Dennis Allen is the defensive coach. We all KNEW what would happen in the NFC Championship Game after the no-call on both the PI and the hands to the face of Brees on the INT during overtime, the D was going to choke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom