Why do so many people think Joe Burrow will be great in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
No this isn't meant to be an anti Joe Burrow thread. I think he has done great at LSU and deserves to be a high 1st round pick. But why is everyone so sure he will light it up in the NFL? Yes, he played in a spread offense similar to the Saints but he also had great playmakers around him. Will he have that with the team that drafts him? And why do so many people think the Saints would mortgage everything to obtain Burrow? I just don't see it. I want Joe Burrow to succeed and would love if somehow he became a Saint. But not at the cost of destroying a team that just won 13 games.

No this isn't meant to be an anti Joe Burrow thread. I think he has done great at LSU and deserves to be a high 1st round pick. But why is everyone so sure he will light it up in the NFL? Yes, he played in a spread offense similar to the Saints but he also had great playmakers around him. Will he have that with the team that drafts him? And why do so many people think the Saints would mortgage everything to obtain Burrow? I just don't see it. I want Joe Burrow to succeed and would love if somehow he became a Saint. But not at the cost of destroying a team that just won 13 games.
I could see him wind up like Joe Montana.
I could also see him wind up like Jay Cutler.
I didn't think he's anymore valuable than a top ranked QB from any other year. I don't see game changer like a Mike Vick but I don't see a bust either.

I think he has decent qualities and maturity to lead a young team to the big spot. Sort of how Mahomes is doing it. Probably not sling it like Mahomes, but I think he will be elite.

No QB will be great long term in the NFL without an incredible work ethic. I won't pretend to know what Burrow's work ethic is, but he clearly doesn't have the best physical attributes in terms of arm strength or running ability. If he's successful in the NFL it will be due to incredible work ethic and a great understanding of the game. His accuracy is off the charts and it's not just his completion %. Where he places the ball for receivers time and time again always seems to be in the ideal spot.

That being said, as far as his long term NFL prospects go.... we'll see.

He's a great prospect, there's no denying that. And if you do deny it you better have some incredible indepth analysis of why.

If you paired Burrow with Belichick and the Pats, I am confident that team would excel (I'm assuming they get some receivers and a TE this offseason). If you pair him with Payton I'm confident Burrow will excel as well. But I could see him struggling in Cincinnati if they don't fix their O Line or get a better coach etc.

Regardless his floor is high and his ceiling is as well. His ceiling may be lower than Mahomes or Rodgers or Elway, but hey not every great quarterback has great arm strength e.g. Drew Brees

ive never been one that thought him being great at the next level was a given. Maybe, maybe not.
Cutler is a horrible example though. He had a better arm but he never proved to have some of the intangibles that Joe has. He wasn’t a good teammate , leader nor did he apparently have the heart. If Joe Burrow doesn’t succeed it will look nothing like Cutler

I didn't think he's anymore valuable than a top ranked QB from any other year. I don't see game changer like a Mike Vick but I don't see a bust either.
Why would you say Vick? Easily one of the most overrated players of all time. I took a while to warm up to Burrow but he will win way more games than Vick ever dreamed of.

1) He is a hard worker
2) He is a great leader
3) His football IQ is insane
4) He is extremely accurate
5) He gets rid of the ball fast
6) He can extend plays in and out the pocket
7) He is a multiple read QB that quickly works progressions.
8) He is big, tall, tough and enough wheels to hurt a team running.
9) He's confident with extreme competitiveness.

Most of those he does at an extraordinarily high level for a player his age. There is so much to like his biggest weaknesses, doesnt have the strongest arm but enough to easily make all the throws. Sometimes he is too aggressive and will extend plays looking for the big play wh ed n he could check it down. He sometimes will trust his receivers too much which may lead to occasional pics.

But yeah, Saints arent getting him so quit worrying about it.

His accuracy and anticipation are elite. He is a leader that will take command of a locker room as soon as he arrives. His game preparation is on a Peyton Manning level. His game recall is on a Drew Brees level. It's certainly not a guarantee that he's going to be successful, but the odds are certainly in his favor that he will be better than any other QB in this draft class.

1) He is a hard worker
2) He is a great leader
3) His football IQ is insane
4) He is extremely accurate
5) He gets rid of the ball fast
6) He can extend plays in and out the pocket
7) He is a multiple read QB that quickly works progressions.
8) He is big, tall, tough and enough wheels to hurt a team running.
9) He's confident with extreme competitiveness.

Most of those he does at an extraordinarily high level for a player his age. There is so much to like his biggest weaknesses, doesnt have the strongest arm but enough to easily make all the throws. Sometimes he is too aggressive and will extend plays looking for the big play wh ed n he could check it down. He sometimes will trust his receivers too much which may lead to occasional pics.

But yeah, Saints arent getting him so quit worrying about it.

I agree with your assessment, but I think the biggest question as to whether or not he becomes great depends on if he ends up with a great coach with a good team around him.

His strengths and weaknesses are a carbon copy of Chad Pennington’s coming out of Marshall. Super smart, insanely accurate, great leader, prototypical size, etc.

Pennington’s biggest problem was getting drafted by the Jets. He still broke records for completion percentage, almost won the MVP, but his coaches were morons and he took a beating out there. His career was way less than it should have been.

I hope that Burrow ends up in a good situation. Maybe Zac Taylor is the perfect coach for him, doubt it, but time will tell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom