Why do so many people think Joe Burrow will be great in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

I think what made him successful in college translates directly to the NFL. Usually, college QBs are asked to run a totally different system than they see in the pros. It's usually predicated more on the run game, the QB running the ball and/or taking deep shots. Joe throwing the ball was the offense. He was a distributor and attacked all levels of the field. That isn't done very often in major college programs. Especially with the level of accuracy and success he had. He had a lot more on his plate and had to make a lot more decisions than a normal QB that goes pro.

I don't know if he will make a team successful on his own but any decent offensive coordinator should be able to put enough around him to make him successful.

I agree with your assessment, but I think the biggest question as to whether or not he becomes great depends on if he ends up with a great coach with a good team around him.

That's pretty much everybody.

There was Tampa Bay Steve Young and then there was San Francisco Steve Young. Not the same guy.

I question whether many even watched a LSU game this year. A lot of his greatness was his ability to extend the play and launch it downfield.

Why will he be successful? Look at what he did and how he set the records for completion %, TD’s, completions and Yards against arguably one of the toughest schedules out there.

The only QB prospect that I can remember being this good coming out of college was Manning.
Now if he goes to a crap team with a crap coach the team will be crap, just like with any QB. Drew went 7-9 in 3 straight seasons...see how that works.

No this isn't meant to be an anti Joe Burrow thread. I think he has done great at LSU and deserves to be a high 1st round pick. But why is everyone so sure he will light it up in the NFL? Yes, he played in a spread offense similar to the Saints but he also had great playmakers around him. Will he have that with the team that drafts him? And why do so many people think the Saints would mortgage everything to obtain Burrow? I just don't see it. I want Joe Burrow to succeed and would love if somehow he became a Saint. But not at the cost of destroying a team that just won 13 games.
Burrow got early NFL training by operating in a college west coast offense at LSU and he played lights out! That's why!

Because you still have people out there that think he was amazing In college and will most certainly translate that into the nfl.

I do wish him luck.

I just don't see him as a put a team on my back kinda guy without superior talent surrounding him.

The Bengals will have to do it with hitting on draft picks because people don't want to play for them.

They are in the same boat as the Jets. You have to grossly overpay to get people in the door.

So for Joe to be successful they are gonna have to be lights out in other draft picks.

Sorry I just see the same as the kid from the dolphins. Show glimpses no help then hits the street. Then hopefully lands in a good place.

Quarterbacks who also won the Heisman and a National Championship:

Charlie Ward
Danny Wuerffel
Matt Leinart
Cam Newton
Jameis Winston

I mean, what could go wrong?

Why is Cam Newton on a list with some of the biggest draft busts of all time and turnover machine Jameis Winston?

Why is Cam Newton on a list with some of the biggest draft busts of all time and turnover machine Jameis Winston?

Because he’s a quarterback who won the Heisman and the National Championship. Ya know, like the title above the list says. If this is still confusing... He played for Auburn. He was the quarterback. He got the most votes cast by Heisman trophy voters. Auburn won the National Championship, finishing the season ranked #1. The other quarterbacks on the list achieved the same, but not at Auburn. At different schools, like USC or Florida for example.

I agree with your assessment, but I think the biggest question as to whether or not he becomes great depends on if he ends up with a great coach with a good team around him.

His strengths and weaknesses are a carbon copy of Chad Pennington’s coming out of Marshall. Super smart, insanely accurate, great leader, prototypical size, etc.

Pennington’s biggest problem was getting drafted by the Jets. He still broke records for completion percentage, almost won the MVP, but his coaches were morons and he took a beating out there. His career was way less than it should have been.

I hope that Burrow ends up in a good situation. Maybe Zac Taylor is the perfect coach for him, doubt it, but time will tell.
Interestingly enough, Chad Pennington is the only QB NOT with the Patriots to win the AFC East division Championshipin the last 20 years, and he did it twice. 2008 with Miami, and 2002 with NYJ.

Yes, his age and maturity are an unfair advantage but that's not his fault.

He runs a little more than I would like and also holds on to the ball too long before flinging it OOB. I think he will fix that right away when his coach shows him pictures of Joe Theisman's leg.
Advantage yes, but what makes it unfair? There is nothing in the rulebook that says its against the rules. That would be like saying its an unfair advantage to have the best team. Isn't that the point...to have the best team?

I've given no criticism of Burrow because I don't think he deserves much. He's as good a prospect coming out of college as you'd want except for the age issue.

There is a bit of "throw up and hope it's caught" in his game and that was helped by an incredible group of WRs. He's very, very aggressive, and that doesn't always work against NFL caliber DBs. He could be a guy who has to be taught to dial it back once in the pros to avoid turnovers. Burrow is also not an elite athlete. He's got good size and mobility, but he doesn't have a Russell Wilson-type arm.

Lastly, there's the one year wonder aspect. It's always a concern when a guy goes from looking like a 5th or 6th round pick to the 1st pick in one season.

So there, that's me straining point out any negatives. I'd still love to have him if it weren't an impossibility.
Of course he's a one hit wonder. Name anyone else who ever had the best season ever....TWICE.

Of course he's a one hit wonder. Name anyone else who ever had the best season ever....TWICE.

I'm not really getting the point of your defensiveness. Burrow was an average at best college QB a year ago.

Interestingly enough, Chad Pennington is the only QB NOT with the Patriots to win the AFC East division Championshipin the last 20 years, and he did it twice. 2008 with Miami, and 2002 with NYJ.

That is kinda a fair. I do think Joe has a way better arm than Chad did at this point.

Pennington had the minimum arm you need in the NFL when he was a rookie.

Injuries made his arm a noodle.

But man that guy was smart. If you could have attached Jeff George's arm to him he would have been the best to ever play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom