Why do these timeout issues persist? (1 Viewer)

I dont see how anyone here can be blaming Payton for that last timeout. "Take the penalty, five yards dont matter"??? Really???

Any coach would rather lose a timeout for 1st and goal from the 2, than have a timeout and 1st and goal from the 7. Any coach.

It's unbelievable how poorly managed the timeout situation was today. How is Sean Payton thinking a 25 yard field goal with a preserved timeout is a worse situation than a 20 yarder without one?? This unnecessary burning of to's has been a pattern for a while, and it cost us the football game today.

I would love to hear an explanation from him.
It's easy to see the answer if you just let yourself see the common thread between all the areas where Payton gets himself into trouble: overthinking things.

It's a recurring theme of outsmarting yourself and losing sight of the forest for the trees in the process.

I don't feel like Payton is being held accountable by the media on these critical game management mistakes. Strange that he wasn't asked after the game about it. Wish some of the beat writers would be pressing harder and writing articles about these important blunders.
He's not nearly pressed by this local media as he would be in New York or elsewhere.

"Coach, any idea why we can't pressure the QB after all this time?"

"Can you comment on why Byrd plays so far back?"

Simple questions like that.

I dont see how anyone here can be blaming Payton for that last timeout. "Take the penalty, five yards dont matter"??? Really???

Any coach would rather lose a timeout for 1st and goal from the 2, than have a timeout and 1st and goal from the 7. Any coach.

With the way our particular offense is designed, scoring from 7 yards out with three downs might actually be easier than scoring from 2 yards out with three downs.

Either way, your premise is completely false. NFL coaches that know how to manage a game would not use that timeout, and that's most of them. A timeout at the end of the game might have been worth 15 yards, a much more crucial 15 yards going for a game-winning FG than that 5 yards was worth on first down inside the 10. In a game where both teams throw up 500 yards, the idea that 5 yards is worth more than a timeout is asinine.

Brees is also not immune to this virus either. He often calls timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty. Unless its at the end of the half or on a crucial third down conversion situation, this is a foolish use of timeouts.

maybe.... just maybe.... sean payton just isn't that great of a coach. i've kind of accepted this over the past couple years. can any of you honestly say that you havent expected a boneheaded decision in every game we've played over the last couple seasons? either it's cutesy playcalling when it's totally unnecessary or just horrid clock management. what used to be one of our strengths is now an obvious weakness.

The second last one was even worse! Fake going for it and then call time out and kick it (or was it faking going for 2?). Take the 5 yards or just go kick it!

THIS one blew my mind. The announcer even said the field goal was shorter than an extra point. Take the freakin penalty and save the time out. With one more time out and the way Drew was moving the ball on the last drive he may could have gotten us another 20 yards and been a much more manageable field goal!

not to mention the 50yd field goal try when we should have punted and pinned them back.

The one before the field goal, I'll give you as unwise. The other one was ref incompetence and when you're inside the 10, you don't take a delay of game and lose 5 yards. That's hindsight nonsense. Scoring a TD was paramount at that time.

Its just one of those things you have to accept, like someones personality. It usually doesn't change.

Some coaches just behave a certain way during game situations. Whether they panic or if its strategic or whatever.

Its one of many things that could be improved but sadly I don't think coaches spend much time self scouting their own problems as they do the teams personnel.

You can accept it and still point it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom