Why do these timeout issues persist? (1 Viewer)

CountWhoDat

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
In recent years, Sean Payton has been very cavalier about timeout use. I'll focus on the final timeout we used in the second half here. Why? What possible justification could you have for using a timeout on a play that, while perhaps begging for clarification, had bounced in your favor so decidedly? The only result that could have come from that timeout was bad for the Saints.

On the last-gasp drive, a timeout changes everything. It's unfair to place the game on the foot of your rookie kicker in his first game from 61 yards when you could have preserved the timeout and made it a reasonable try. Del Rio did not end up needing his timeouts, but he wisely preserved them for that final drive in the event that they did. How are you getting outfoxed by Del Rio?

This is one of those things I just don't understand.

I still have no idea why we would have called our last timeout. If anything, you'd want to snap the ball before anyone could look at the play.

I still have no idea why we would have called our last timeout. If anything, you'd want to snap the ball before anyone could look at the play.

Play clock was about to expire because the refs couldn't decide if it was a fumble or not and they couldn't figure out where to spot it. Once they spotted it, we had to call a TO or we'd of gotten a penalty.

In hindsight, take the penalty I guess. But the refs screwed that up bad and should of stopped the game.

Play clock was about to expire because the refs couldn't decide if it was a fumble or not and they couldn't figure out where to spot it. Once they spotted it, we had to call a TO or we'd of gotten a penalty.

In hindsight, take the penalty I guess. But the refs screwed that up bad and should of stopped the game.

Fair enough, but it was 1st and Goal. 5 yards are not going to make or break you. A timeout is valuable before you ever need to use it. We often trade a timeout for 5 yards, and that's just a bad, stupid trade in almost every situation.

Let them call the penalty and then make your argument. If you lose the 5 yards, BFD.

Fair enough, but it was 1st and Goal. 5 yards are not going to make or break you. A timeout is valuable before you ever need to use it. We often trade a timeout for 5 yards, and that's just a bad, stupid trade in almost every situation.

Let them call the penalty and then make your argument. If you lose the 5 yards, BFD.

The second last one was even worse! Fake going for it and then call time out and kick it (or was it faking going for 2?). Take the 5 yards or just go kick it!

The second last one was even worse! Fake going for it and then call time out and kick it (or was it faking going for 2?). Take the 5 yards or just go kick it!

Admittedly, I didn't even mention this in my first post even though it was just as egregious. Two timeouts at the end of the game were worth much more than the cumulative ten yards we *MIGHT* have saved by using them when we did.

I hate to be the "listen, coach, you can't..." guy because I know that Payton is infinitely smarter than me when it comes to the game of football. I know that it sounds just as dumb when I say it as any of the other idiots that start these threads. But this is one issue where I simply can't give him the benefit of the doubt, because its so damn obvious what's going on. "We have the lead, who needs timeouts?" is not an actual justification.

It's unbelievable how poorly managed the timeout situation was today. How is Sean Payton thinking a 25 yard field goal with a preserved timeout is a worse situation than a 20 yarder without one?? This unnecessary burning of to's has been a pattern for a while, and it cost us the football game today.

I would love to hear an explanation from him.

Its just one of those things you have to accept, like someones personality. It usually doesn't change.

Some coaches just behave a certain way during game situations. Whether they panic or if its strategic or whatever.

Its one of many things that could be improved but sadly I don't think coaches spend much time self scouting their own problems as they do the teams personnel.

^ not to mention if he trots the field goal unit out in a timely manner, we don't need to take a delay of game, OR EVEN WORSE BURN A TIMEOUT. He chose the worst option of all. Cost us the game. Wouldn't be so infuriating if it weren't so damn simple.

^ not to mention if he trots the field goal unit out in a timely manner, we don't need to take a delay of game, OR EVEN WORSE BURN A TIMEOUT. He chose the worst option of all. Cost us the game. Wouldn't be so infuriating if it weren't so damn simple.

I found this to be the most troubling thing about the game yesterday, they just treat time outs like its no big deal. It cost the Saints the game.

Payton's timeouts were infected with zika. I wouldn't want to hold on to them either.

The Detroit game is a paramount example of why you save your damn timeouts. Stat Padford was able to drive them down the field and into field goal range because the entire field was open to him, due to the Lions having their full complement of timeouts left. Prater thus had a makeable field goal, and the Lions won the game. This is not rocket science.

In the perhaps unexpected yet still extremely predictable event that your defense gives up a late touchdown, you need those timeouts to have a shot. In an NFL where scoring was limited and teams moved down the field much slower and more deliberately, I can see where timeout use was prioritized differently, but in the modern NFL, smart teams preserve those timeouts for when they are truly needed, not to argue minutiae of the game or call that perfect play.

Payton got outcoached by Jack ****** Del Rio in this game. This is becoming a more common occurrence as the years go by and it does not inspire confidence in us as fans.

Nothing has changed when it comes to that......poor time out management.

I don't feel like Payton is being held accountable by the media on these critical game management mistakes. Strange that he wasn't asked after the game about it. Wish some of the beat writers would be pressing harder and writing articles about these important blunders.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom