Why Do We Have So Many Last Minute Defensive Collapses? (1 Viewer)

It’s talent and coaching. I can literally make a case for an upgrade at almost every position on the defense

Upgrade FS and replace Marcus
Upgrade CB #2 and replace Eli
Upgrade at OLB by putting an elite LB next to Demario while have Klein/Anzalone/Alonso fight for the other spot
Upgrade at DE since Davenport can’t stay healthy.

Tempted to upgrade at DT too, but that’s getting selfish because I think they’re doing a good job there

This is the new NFL. See how quickly we scored a TD on that great SF defense?

• 1Like
Reactions: VDK
Last minute? We didn't stop them really all day. But, they didn't stop us either. Rules that favor the offense is the biggest thing I see.

Dennis Allen has done some really brain dead things.

Against the Vikings in 2017, the final play of the game... Allen has two linebackers on the field who only drop 10 yards back into coverage. The Vikings had the ball at their own 39 yard line with no timeouts, 10 seconds left in the game. They needed a minimum of 30 yards. Why in God's name is Allen trying to defend the 50 yard line? Anything caught over the middle in-bounds and the game is over. The Vikings have to throw it deep to the sideline. The Saints had two players covering literally nobody on that horrid play.

Allen is a solid DC, but his 2 minute drill defense is abysmal.
Maybe Payton should go to his answer of bringing in a special coach or consultant to help with defending the field with a minute left.

It's a definite thing Allen is struggling to figure out and it's going to get you, as Saints fans can attest, in playoffs...

I was wishing hard in the offseason some team would be dumb enough to make that mistake.

It’s not going to happen now. We’re stuck with him until it becomes too late to matter.
I sort of hope someone hires him away but the track record of hires is underwhelming so who knows what we would get. Could be a step back overall.

Would Mike Nolan be elevated to DC maybe?

I have a theory. The secondary play boils down to technique and football IQ. Our guys suffer greatly in the latter. Guys like Sammy Knight, Sharper, Tommy Myers, Ed Reed, Lynch, etc. made plays because of their football IQ. Marcus Williams is terrible at it. Apple too. The rookie today can NOT allow Kittle outside. Lattimore is the only guy that defended a pass today. Let me be clear. I’m not saying Marcus is a bad player that doesn’t make any plays. These deficiencies show up in crunch time.

My memory is that the scouting report on Williams at the time of the draft was that he had great ball skills, football intelligence and instincts. And he showed that the scouting report was absolutely correct until the last play of the Minnesota playoff game.

I also don't care about the PFF numbers. He seems to be an average free safety who is below average in run support. His lack of progress--if not regression--since 2017 is notable.

This is a stupid thread. Didn't the 49ers have the top rated defense - or close to it? We hung 46 points on them - they never really stopped us. It's the rules folks. The NFL doesn't want defense. They want scoring. Our Defense is good. We missed some key players yesterday that may have made a difference on rushing defense but going by todays rule book our defense is as good as anyones.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom