Why do we keep facing 8 man fronts ? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
If memory serves me for this season , our running game hasnt been in any way ..... a threat . If im playing against the Saints , I play a nickel or dime to stop the pass . A huge part of Saints success in the passing game is other teams still think we'll try to establish the run . Clearly , running the ball is not what this team is about in 06-07 . We have arguably 2 of the better backs in the league , Bush primary role is to go to the flat and play dumpoff guy . Duece is more or less in there to block after a play action pass down the field .Speaking of play action , I cant believe other teams actually still fall for that with us .

Dont take this as a slam of our Saints , there doing a fantastic job getting down field this season ( # 1 in yards per game @ 402 ......or something close to that ). This is just an observation that im sharing with the board . Many of the post on here justify the lack of success running by the 8 man front . Conversely the passing game is off the charts with whoever is playing wr that game . If you want to beat the Saints , stop the pass , not the run .

Remember that JESUS is the reason for the season

Mike

Most teams only show us those fronts when Deuce and Karney are lined up together. Plus, I think teams assume we're going to beat them with the pass regardless; so they might as well try and stop one aspect of our game.

I agree though, at some point, teams are going to have to respect the pass even more. At that point, we'll be able to better develop the running game. I don't see it happening tomorrow though. The 49ers starting corners are already pretty weak; I don't see an extra nickel or dime helping them out too much.

Last edited:
I think that if teams start going to nickle and dime sets, we'll run all over them. Teams weren't counting on our passing game being so consistently good. Payton has just done an excellent job of game planning - and adjusting the game plan for what will get us yardage and points. Teams are trying to make us one dimensional, but we've excelled at that one dimension. Thank you for that, Drew Brees!

If you want to beat the Saints, stop the pass, not the run.

Easier said than done. If teams attempted to drop a backer and saftey into coverage to beat our passing game, they're simply going to get a larger dose of Deuce, and more Reggie.

That will move the chains, just like the short and intermediary passing games. Then, they would still have to contain our receivers... Once again, easier said than done.

I only wish our D could create more 3 and outs. If you think you're seeing a great O now... Imagine what they'd look like with 3 or 4 more possessions a game?

I understand those DCs who try to stop the run first. If they don`t try to the Saints will kill them with runs and short passes. They make the Saints pass because it`s more risky and there`s a chance for turnovers and that`s how we lost to the Steelers and Bengals.

We're not a running team BECAUSE teams are lining up in 8 man fronts. When they stop doing that, we WILL be a running team. It doesn't matter what a team does against us. As long as we don't turn the ball over we will beat them.

I think until recently, it is hard for opposition to take the Saints passing offense seriously. At this point.. Christ... the number alone are intimidating, but I think defenses did not think Brees was serious, and figured Horn had lost a step, and these other guys were unproven youngsters.. Not to mention the O-line is performing better than most anyone predicted... so why not try to shut down the run, bring some heat, try to match your DBs against the Saint WRs and see what happens. It did work for the Ravens.

I think any team would rather stop the run first. Our running game may not be very consistent, but other teams have seen what Deuce and Reggie can do. You try to stop the run because there are more chances of messing up in the passing game (ints, dropped passes, etc). Unfortunately, we have shown that we will turn the ball over sometimes, so I think most teams will play us that way.

Why? Becuase that's what the Ravens did to beat the Saints. Stop any threat of the run, then blitz Brees into making mistakes and have your defenders swat at the ball instead of going for the tackle against the Saints receivers. Create turnovers. Now against Ravens, Steelers and Bengals Payton abandoned the run completely. The Saints cooperated by coughing the ball up and Brees was pressured by the blitz. One dimensional teams are much easier to defend against than a balanced team.

Take last week for example....early the Falcons loaded the box but the Saints ran against it anyway. Deuce didn't have a huge runs but ground out yardage. This kept the Falcons D off balance. The playaction pass started working because the Falcons secondary had to respect the run. The Saints passing game is much, much more effective if the secondary is trying sneak up closer to the LOS for runs support. That opens up the secondary for big gains.....

Well, I here all of your points and have come to this conclusion: The Saints are very dangerous on offense can cannot be stopped by any defense. They can only beat themselves, which they've done three times this season. Hopefully, that's all behind them now.

Well, I here all of your points and have come to this conclusion: The Saints are very dangerous on offense can cannot be stopped by any defense. They can only beat themselves, which they've done three times this season. Hopefully, that's all behind them now.

I would not agree. An elite defense that can stop the run consistently while applying a lot of pressure, while getting ahead by 14 points, would stop our offense. We dont have a run offense that can impose its will upon any defense.

You answered your own questions... our running game is very "inconsistant" because we see so many 8-man fronts... but like sumone said earlier... if you were to see more nickel and dime sets i can gurantee both reggie and deuce would have 100 yrds. a piece.. pick your poison.. the only way to beat the saints is to have the saints beat themselves...

....If you want to beat the Saints , stop the pass , not the run .

Mike

Good luck Mike. Rarely this season has a team been able to do the above this year. Pick your poison. This coupled with the facts that our 'new' QB, with a surgically repaired shoulder, is playing under a 'new' system, with a 'new' coach, with a 'new' team and 'new' receivers, with intermittent injuries to the receiving corp (both TE's and WR's), using a WR corp that for the majority, have no significant reception count in the NFL prior to this season, gives us pause to give thanks for what the Saints have accomplished. Let's pray that we continue to be astounded this season, okay?

Last edited:
To be honest I haven't seen many 8 man fronts the last 4 weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom