why do we need a TE?? (2 Viewers)

SLUsaint504

Very Banned
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong guys ID LOVE to see gonzo in a saints uni. But is spending big bucks on an elite TE really needed? As you already know Drew Brees is haveing a great season and we have some solid wide outs. So why spend big money on an elite TE when that money could be used for re signings and maybe bringing in some defensive help.

Dont get me wrong guys ID LOVE to see gonzo in a saints uni. But is spending big bucks on an elite TE really needed? As you already know Drew Brees is haveing a great season and we have some solid wide outs. So why spend big money on an elite TE when that money could be used for re signings and maybe bringing in some defensive help.

It's just the one position you could easily upgrade on offense, so people lock in on it. Not many other spots that would be worth spending money on. Honestly our offense is good enough im comfortable not signing anything but backups on offense and going with the same starting lineup next year.

to help in the red zone with blocking or receiving. Without a tight end it would bew harder to run the ball in short yardage situations. TE's are important.

to help in the red zone with blocking or receiving. Without a tight end it would bew harder to run the ball in short yardage situations. TE's are important.

Mark Campbell is a solid blocker already. When people talk about upgrading the TE position they mean specifically as recievers

How about one that can do both. Isn't the reason Hilton was released was because defenses knew when he was in the game it was going to be a pass play?

I do not think we need an "elite" TE. I think we can find a good TE that can block and catch in the mid rounds of the draft. We need one. We need an upgrade that we can settle in for years to come, but I would not want to spend big money at this position.

^ I agree. We need someone who can at least be an option down in the red zone for us. Tight end isn't a position where we need to spend huge money

A good TE stretches the middle of the field with deeper middle routes, helps make d coordinators think twice about blitzing (reggie does that now) and improves the run blocking by being a more mobile OT on the field. Downfield blocking. I'm not mad at our offense now, but it can get even better with a good TE.

How about one that can do both. Isn't the reason Hilton was released was because defenses knew when he was in the game it was going to be a pass play?

That's the idea. That's what is being discussed here

Not exactly a big bucks type of guy, but someone the Defense would have to keep an extra eye on. If we had a big play tight end, it would open up so much more for the rest of our playmakers. And like LSSpam said, if it wasn't the only position we were lacking on offense it would not be as big of a deal.

Interestingly enough the TE makes for a good team but not for a SB team. In the past 10 seasons teams with top TE's are not winning the SB. The high priced bing name TE's--Gonzalez, Gates, Crumpler, Shockey, Heap aren't getting their teams to the SB. As a matter of fact, my research indicates the last TE to catch a TD in the SB is Jay Novacek in SB XXX back in Jan 1996. I agree with the posters who say get a serviceable TE and put your big money into your other positions--O-Line, D-Line, TE's, QB, LB, DB.

I would not like to see us go out and spend money on an overpaid TE. I just don't think that is what we need. If we do get one, I wouldn't mind spending a 4th round draft pick on one. The reason that we keep hearing about the TE's on this board is b ecause of what Brees did with Gates. Gates is a freak of nature, there are not too many of him around. I would like to have more of a defensive mind in the next offseason if you know what I mean.

Interestingly enough the TE makes for a good team but not for a SB team. In the past 10 seasons teams with top TE's are not winning the SB. The high priced bing name TE's--Gonzalez, Gates, Crumpler, Shockey, Heap aren't getting their teams to the SB. As a matter of fact, my research indicates the last TE to catch a TD in the SB is Jay Novacek in SB XXX back in Jan 1996. I agree with the posters who say get a serviceable TE and put your big money into your other positions--O-Line, D-Line, TE's, QB, LB, DB.

What does this have to do with anything? Good TEAMS win Super Bowls, irrespective of the presence of a good player at one particular skill position.

Guys like Heath Miller, Daniel Graham, and LJ Smith have been instrumental to their teams' journeys to the Super Bowl. Not necessarily the head honchos by any measure, but they've been solid contributors in both tenets of their teams' offenses.

Man, what about Shannon Sharpe? He was a very good TE and Denver was a very good team. If a TE like Sharpe doesn't help win Superbowls, then I guess a RB like Davis and a QB like Elway are no good either. I mean, the Colts havent won the Superbowl, nor have the Chargers.

Seriously, I think there is evidence that Brees likes big targets. I think Gates is not quite the same since Brees left. So, I think if we got a talented TE it might make Brees better. I am not sure. Maybe he only needs one big target to focus on. But if we do get a TE, I would get capable yet underutilized one. I dont watch them all enough to know who, but just someone who is a team player and can block and catch, was drafted high, but never clicked with his team. That guy the 49ers had before they drafted Davis might be ok if he is healthy. Someone medium priced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom