NFL Why do you dislike the Clowns? (Falclowns, Failcons, whatever) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Simple question; answers should be interesting. :munch:

My dislike began when they demolished the Saints in our home opener in 1973 at old Tulane Stadium 62-7. They called a timeout late in the game because they wanted to run up the score even more. :mad:

Also, they beat us in the only game we've played them in the Playoffs.

Falcons-Saints rivalry.JPG

:gosaints:

Last edited:
My dislike for them started when I really got into football around the late 80's. It boiled over in the 1991 Wild Card Playoff game. Saints should've won but mistakes and blown opportunities cost them and the Falcons were taunting us and dancing and being cocky....Have relished in their misery ever since then.

Only maybe once or twice have I ever met a cool Falcons fan. Most are straight up jerks, endless trash talk, and go out of their way to bring up Bountygate, Katrina, etc. Zero class.

On the morning of their Super Bowl loss, I stopped at the store on my way to a Super Bowl party. I was wearing a Saints jersey, and came across a guy in a Falcons jersey in the alcohol aisle. He immediately laid into me, explaining how much we suck, how Atlanta rules, how they were gonna get their trophy that day, screaming "F New Orleans!" all through the store, etc. I still think of that guy every time 28-3 is mentioned.

Only maybe once or twice have I ever met a cool Falcons fan. Most are straight up jerks, endless trash talk, and go out of their way to bring up Bountygate, Katrina, etc. Zero class.

On the morning of their Super Bowl loss, I stopped at the store on my way to a Super Bowl party. I was wearing a Saints jersey, and came across a guy in a Falcons jersey in the alcohol aisle. He immediately laid into me, explaining how much we suck, how Atlanta rules, how they were gonna get their trophy that day, screaming "F New Orleans!" all through the store, etc. I still think of that guy every time 28-3 is mentioned.

Displaced aggression... ask him to define what that means the next time you run into him. :ezbill:

:gosaints:

I was born in Atlanta, and while I was raised in New Orleans, most of my family still lives in Georgia. As a result I didn't really HATE them all that much as a kid in the 90s; but as I've gotten older it's boiled over so much that I honestly think I HATE them just as much as I LOVE the Saints. Like I actually enjoyed Superbowl LI about 99.99% as much as I enjoyed XLIV.

To answer your question. I think it's partly because every time the Saints have had a good thing going, the Falcons are always there to ruin it. I just keep reminding myself of all the times the Saints COULD have gone further but didn't because of the falcons. Like 2010 for example. That was the year after we won the Superbowl and SHOULD have been the next step in what I hoped would be a dynasty. But nope... the falcons took that away. 2012, 2016... Even in our good years like 2019 somehow they find a way to piss me off.

That and their fans are so unbelievably obnoxious and feel they have to live vicariously through other teams like the Vikings because they don't have anything going for them themselves.

1973 started it with that 62-7 season opening loss. Then we go on to five games for only the second time ever (1969 was first season we did it) only to have Atlanta beat us 14-10 in the final game of the season.

Then in 1978, the Falcons "Big Ben" us to win 20-17 with a final play Hail Mary. Two weeks later it looks like the Saints had Atlanta beat late in the game with an interception in the end zone with 10 seconds left ... but a pass interference call gives the Falcons the ball at the Saints' 1 yard line and Atlanta wins in the final seconds again, by the same score — 20-17.

Those four games have fueled the 40-plus years of hate I have for the Falcons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom