NFL Why do you dislike the Clowns? (Falclowns, Failcons, whatever) (1 Viewer)

My dislike began when I moved to the Atlants area post Katrina and realized that there hate for Louisiana goes far po football.

To answer your question. I think it's partly because every time the Saints have had a good thing going, the Falcons are always there to ruin it. I just keep reminding myself of all the times the Saints COULD have gone further but didn't because of the falcons. Like 2010 for example. That was the year after we won the Superbowl and SHOULD have been the next step in what I hoped would be a dynasty. But nope... the falcons took that away. 2012, 2016... Even in our good years like 2019 somehow they find a way to piss me off.

That and their fans are so unbelievably obnoxious and feel they have to live vicariously through other teams like the Vikings because they don't have anything going for them themselves.

Like 2010 for example. That was the year after we won the Superbowl and SHOULD have been the next step in what I hoped would be a dynasty. But nope... the falcons took that away.

They took nothing away. We split with them so we still got a win off of them. If anyone's to blame, it's Garrett Hartley for shanking a 29-yard walkoff OT field goal.

We ended their best start in franchise history as a 3-5 team. You could've assembled a playoff field of the twelve best teams to miss the playoffs that year and we might've only gotten one win in that format. Blame Goodell for us sucking that year.

Even with a 29.3 ppg offense, we were still garbage that year. We had the second worst scoring defense in the league and gave up 28.4 ppg. We only kept two teams under 20 points and still managed to lose both of those games. Basically every team laid our defense out that season so I can't see why a 13-point and 6-point loss come across as any worse to deal with especially since even the Lions had a bigger victory over us, 15 points.

Even in our good years like 2019 somehow they find a way to piss me off.

They were 1-7 and we were 7-1 and we got 100% completely castrated. Their average margin of defeat in those seven losses was 12.7 points and they'd endured losses by 14, 16, 21, and 27 prior to our meeting. That blame goes totally on the Saints for foolishly sleeping on what should've been a guaranteed victory. This was the game that first led to my concerns about another playoff letdown since it showed that we were vulnerable to complete breakdowns in preparedness and mental toughness.

Last edited:
They took nothing away. We split with them so we still got a win off of them. If anyone's to blame, it's Garrett Hartley for shanking a 29-yard walkoff OT field goal.

We ended their best start in franchise history as a 3-5 team. You could've assembled a playoff field of the twelve best teams to miss the playoffs that year and we might've only gotten one win in that format. Blame Goodell for us sucking that year.

Even with a 29.3 ppg offense, we were still garbage that year. We had the second worst scoring defense in the league and gave up 28.4 ppg. We only kept two teams under 20 points and still managed to lose both of those games. Basically every team laid our defense out that season so I can't see why a 13-point and 6-point loss come across as any worse to deal with especially since even the Lions had a bigger victory over us, 15 points.

They were 1-7 and we were 7-1 and we got 100% completely castrated. Their average margin of defeat in those seven losses was 12.7 points and they'd endured losses by 14, 16, 21, and 27 prior to our meeting. That blame goes totally on the Saints for foolishly sleeping on what should've been a guaranteed victory. This was the game that first led to my concerns about another playoff letdown since it showed that we were vulnerable to complete breakdowns in preparedness and mental toughness.
Holy sheet bro I was just saying why I didn’t like them. No need to dissect it into a doctoral thesis.

What amplified it for me was Bobby and Mort becoming Falcons......things are good now with them but it still burns. Before that for me Glanville and their obnoxious fans
I hope that franchise goes winless for 50 years and their billion dollar toilet bowl shaped stadium sits empty forever.

I moved to Atlanta from Chicago in 1990/1991. I had been a Saints fan since ‘87, but I didn’t know about the Saints/Clowns hate. In fact, the Failcons has recently switched from the red helmet unis, and their “new” black white and silver unis with the black helmets I actually kinda liked. I was also a fan (at the time) of Scott Case.
Anyhow, we moved to Georgia, and my younger brother and I went with my folks to a museum... I was 13 and my brother was 8... While at the museum (Fernbank) I saw Scott Case. I got my kid brother to approach him and ask if he was (in fact) Scott Case...
The guy was a total @**h**e! He yelled at my little brother, telling him he was with his family and to “get away from me!” My brother was all ready-eyed and shook after it, and I just wanted to kill the guy! I’ve hated the Clowns with a passion ever since.

What amplified it for me was Bobby and Mort becoming Falcons......things are good now with them but it still burns. Before that for me Glanville and their obnoxious fans
I hope that franchise goes winless for 50 years and their billion dollar toilet bowl shaped stadium sits empty forever.
Glanville was such an overated piece of work. Roddy just confirmed just confirmed my hatred for that crap franchise.

I used to go to a lot of Saints games in the 90's at the old Falcons stadium. It was a lot of fun because honestly both teams sucked and all the fans knew it. So it was just good-natured fun and ribbing. Then Blank bought them...then they drafted Vick. The whole culture of that stadium changed. It was no longer fun. A friend of mine got assaulted outside the stadium. It became a very hostile and slightly dangerous environment. I quit going. Plus they are very fair-weathered fans. Also....Deion Sanders. And Bobby Hebert. And Morten. And Joe Horn.

I moved to Atlanta from Chicago in 1990/1991. I had been a Saints fan since ‘87, but I didn’t know about the Saints/Clowns hate. In fact, the Failcons has recently switched from the red helmet unis, and their “new” black white and silver unis with the black helmets I actually kinda liked. I was also a fan (at the time) of Scott Case.
Anyhow, we moved to Georgia, and my younger brother and I went with my folks to a museum... I was 13 and my brother was 8... While at the museum (Fernbank) I saw Scott Case. I got my kid brother to approach him and ask if he was (in fact) Scott Case...
The guy was a total @**h**e! He yelled at my little brother, telling him he was with his family and to “get away from me!” My brother was all ready-eyed and shook after it, and I just wanted to kill the guy! I’ve hated the Clowns with a passion ever since.

Here's a lil somethin for ya. Watch Ironhead send his arse airborne with a stiffarm complete with multiple replays at various speeds and angles both before and after the commercial break.

I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again.

"The year was 1980 something and I was at my grandparent's house. It was a Sunday and we had just left church. My two sisters were busy bothering my grandmother in the kitchen trying to get her to let them help her cook while my mom actually helped her cook and my dad sat on the sofa trying to talk to my grandpa. I sat indian style on the floor in front of grandpa watching the tv. I'll never forget when the game started and the sheetbirds came on screen in their traditional black and red uni's. My grandpa got shaken, almost viscerally disturbed.

He said, "You see that team, Stephen? That team in the black and red. That team with that sheetbird on their helmet??"

"Yeah, Grandpa, I see them."

"We hate that team!! They are the scum of the earth!! They are the worst pieces of sheet on earth!"

I said, "Yeah Grandpa. they Suck!"

And for the first time, I didn't get scolded for saying the word 'Suck.' Which told my single digit age self that the sheetbird team was so bad, and vile, that saying bad words about them wouldn't get me punished, or scolded.

The hatred has been growing ever since.

The big reason: The NFL is all about entertainment. And it’s a marketing tactic. They market big rivals with certain teams (division of course) It’s smart and entertaining.

Packers vs bears
Cowboys vs Eagles
Saints vs Falcons
On and on...

I hadn't liked them since I can remember.

However, Roddy White made it worse !

Roddy White is one of my most hated players of all time, I remember many of his interviews where he'd discuss hatred not only for the Saints but the city of New Orleans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom