Why does Aaron Glenn get a pass on our poor DB play? Or DA for that matter. (1 Viewer)

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score
Why, has Aaron Glenn failed to field a top flight Secondary, With (multi high draft choices) talent at DB and DL? This has been a weak point of every Saints team. We have seen talent leave here, start and be productive for other good teams. I'm sure he is a wonderful man was one of the best DBs in the nfl. But, Where has Aaron Glenn made a difference for the saints?

Credit NamariTiger for the stats below.

Anyone remember

De'Vante Harris - Announced as the starter in 2016 or 2017 and everyone had to google his name. No one expected him to be the starter. Gleen - Tx A&M De'Vante Harris Tx A&M. Got lit up in the first game of the season by Tampa bay's backup qb, TD after TD,

Marshon Lattimore 1st Year- (Lights out & Pro Bowl)

Marcus Williams 1st Year- (71 Tackles, 4 ints, 7 PD and rated top 10 safety in NFL and top Rookie safety)

Ken Crawley 1 Year- (Looks like a steal and becomes the number 2 corner) mistakes from time to time but still doing well.

All those three in their second year , look lost out there.

I will say Aaron Glenn has been inconsistent. One minute most people thinks he should be a hot candidate for at least a coordinator job. The next wondering what is he doing back there. Really it is hard to pin point things just by one game. For the most part the defense has been solid. Secondary has been hit or miss, especially with Apple and his penalties.

What talent (plural) left and became successful elsewhere??

Harris was inserted due to injury iirc.

The issue we have (like every team) is in zone vs man cover. But injuries play a role when scheming an opponent. If you are deficient in one area, it affects all others.

BTW they are in 3rd not 2nd year

I will say Aaron Glenn has been inconsistent. One minute most people thinks he should be a hot candidate for at least a coordinator job. The next wondering what is he doing back there. Really it is hard to pin point things just by one game. For the most part the defense has been solid. Secondary has been hit or miss, especially with Apple and his penalties.

Apple just recently has had issues... And if you look at performance over a full season, it will prolly be avg to most DBs.

2 seasons ago Weddle and Thomas were top flight safeties.... Today??

So it's in constant Flux. Defensive schemes and opposing talent are always fluid.

I didn't realize anyone was "giving them a pass" when talking about nothing but how the defense lost the last game for us. And what does our talking about it really matter anyway? It isn't going to change anything on Airline.

Why, has Aaron Glenn failed to field a top flight Secondary, With (multi high draft choices) talent at DB and DL? This has been a weak point of every Saints team. We have seen talent leave here, start and be productive for other good teams. I'm sure he is a wonderful man was one of the best DBs in the nfl. But, Where has Aaron Glenn made a difference for the saints?

Anyone remember

De'Vante Harris - Announced as the starter in 2016 or 2017 and everyone had to google his name. No one expected him to be the starter. Gleen - Tx A&M De'Vante Harris Tx A&M. Got lit up in the first game of the season by Tampa bay's backup qb, TD after TD,

Marcus Williams 1st Year- (71 Tackles, 4 ints, 7 PD and rated top 10 safety in NFL and top Rookie safety)

Ken Crawley 1 Year- (Looks like a steal and becomes the number 2 corner) mistakes from time to time but still doing well.

The Saints secondary is extremely talented and, at times including this year, has been lights out. But they certainly have been inconsistent and lately have been borderline awful. I hope it improves.

But what does "get a pass" mean? You think AG and DA should be fired? Or Sean should be calling them out publicly? Or someone should get a billboard next to the Superdome that says they suck?

They have to do better. They know that. Sean knows that. We don't know what is said in the meeting rooms.

In a league where the rules are constantly tweaked to favor passing, being a secondary coach has got to be one of the toughest jobs in my opinion. I will say that I do see issues with technique, our DBs are not very good at locating and playing the ball which leads to them panicking and getting PI calls. Also see a lot of communication issues in the secondary. A lot of that is coaching but a lot of that falls on the players. You can coach things all you want but the players have to execute it.

In a league where the rules are constantly tweaked to favor passing, being a secondary coach has got to be one of the toughest jobs in my opinion. I will say that I do see issues with technique, our DBs are not very good at locating and playing the ball which leads to them panicking and getting PI calls. Also see a lot of communication issues in the secondary. A lot of that is coaching but a lot of that falls on the players. You can coach things all you want but the players have to execute it.

I think you nailed it about location skills. They don’t seem to have this trait. IMO.

I think we gotta give some credit to the 49ers offensive scheme and some of their players.

Edit: I think the toughest offense we face all regular season.

Crawley was the one who got lit up by Fitzpatrick & TB. Devante was awful, but Sam Bradford was the one who made him look foolish (and later that year when he had to fill in vs. LAR, he was terrible again).

We've had good secondary play in the past few years and terrible secondary play. I don't think anyone's letting him off the hook.

Anyone remember

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom