why does homerism exist? (1 Viewer)

Dre

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Specifically, why do fans always wish their college team's players to be on their NFL team, too?

I have some theories, but why do you think? Here are some of my thoughts (nothing groundbreaking)

1) People watch their team all of the time and ONLY know their team. Hence, when it comes to demonstrate their knowledge of football, their only ammo is their own players. And they think this is legit knowledge.

2) Psychologically, consciously or subconsciously, they cannot fathom the idea of not being able to pull for their player when it might hurt the Saints. If the player is on the Saints, that solves all of the problems.

3) People like taking the homer role...getting a pseudo-celebrity status on a message board ...as Tulane's #1 fan, for example.

If I get some decent answers maye I will even make a poll. It has to be better than my other ones:)

If it is blatant homerism then it makes no since. Like wanting a player from my local college, Louisiana College to get drafted by the Saints. But if the program is a winner and they can help the team then why not? Why is it homerism if you want a good player? Man I have to be careful when typing and not have a typo. Putting a o where an e is.
:_rofl:

I always thought the following:

1) Some fans believe they have to always "pimp" their team to be a good fan.

2) It is another way to draw undo attention to themselves

images

There are more anti-homers here. I define an anti-homer as a person who is eager to call someone a homer and refuses to look at the talent of the player mentioned. Even if the player is well regarded as one of the best in the country the anti-homer will still accuse someone of being a homer. Example is LaRon Landry, Glen Dorsey discussion.

2 Reasons.

1)Exposure. Most people do not have time to read about all 32 NFL teams so they only read about theirs. Therefore all they know is their team.

2)Stupidity. Remember...if you have only average intelligence then you are still smarter than half the world. Think about that for a minute. If your intelligence is the mean....then over half the world is dumber than you. I know...it's scary. Just keep this fact in mind at election time.

I have a friend who is a UGA fan. He tried to tell me that the 3rd string running back for UGA was the 3rd best running back in the SEC. I was dumbfounded. I then asked him "have you ever heard of Kenny Irons or Darren Mcfadden"? He said "no". I knew right there that he spent a lot of time reading the UGA articles, but never bothered to read up on the rest of the conference.

People like to be part of something bigger than themselves. Some join gangs, biker clubs, armed forces, boy scouts, Church's, etc.. Anything that makes them part of a fellowship. Some times we join more than one group and that is when you get the homer title but it is more trying to make your two groups work together because you feel you are a part of both. I can remember not to long ago on this board when some HOMERS were saying La. could not make it with out New Orleans, or Baton Rouge. All it took to make all of us La. HOMERS was a couple hurricanes. My point is be careful who/what you call a Homer because you might be one tomorrow.

2 Reasons.
I have a friend who is a UGA fan. He tried to tell me that the 3rd string running back for UGA was the 3rd best running back in the SEC. I was dumbfounded. I then asked him "have you ever heard of Kenny Irons or Darren Mcfadden"? He said "no". I knew right there that he spent a lot of time reading the UGA articles, but never bothered to read up on the rest of the conference.

Kregg Lumpkin? :D

he is really good, but that is pretty funny.

in his SR year he might be the best RB in the SEC though, loads of talent.

There are more anti-homers here. I define an anti-homer as a person who is eager to call someone a homer and refuses to look at the talent of the player mentioned. Even if the player is well regarded as one of the best in the country the anti-homer will still accuse someone of being a homer. Example is LaRon Landry, Glen Dorsey discussion.

Well LaRon Landry is obviously not a need since we just spent two second round picks on safeties. I think that is why people get called a homer for wanting him. If he were a CB, it would be all good.

most people only watch their favorite team, so they see indivdual players play much more than any other fan of different teams, so obviously they think hes alot better than he really is.

There were a few players I truly followed in their NFL careers that came from LSU in particular....some of them I would have loved to have seen land in New Orleans...but it didn't happen....I just believe when you've followed some truly great players from our local universities...you'd want to see them play for your favorite local New Orleans Saints....if it's homerism...I guess I qualify....

It goes way beyond that. I always thought you made most of those posts "tongue in cheek". I am a huge LSU fan, but you guys (yes I am specifically talking to you as part of that group) get ridiculous with it. No one is saying Landry is a bad player, but a homer would start a thread about us trading up to select him. It is a waste of a read. Landry is not what this team needs at this point, nut LSU homers start a thread about us drafting him. Seriously Kramer don't play innocent on this one. You know you go over board with the LSU love. It seems to me that every good to decent LSU player should be drafted by the Saints and should be a first round pick.

It is a lot like falcons fans. While trying to show team support they really came off immature. I think you are a good poster. I like what you have to say on everything expect LSU players. I think you would be better served being honest instead of overly supportive. JMO not trying to come off like I am attacking you, but when I think homer on this board loose Cannon and you are the first two that pop into my mind.

What about Devery Henderson? I think he is a classic example of homerism. What has he shown since he was drafted so high? Very little and he was he does show something, there is no consistency. Every time he does something, all the homerism comes out. If he was Jo Blow from BFE University, everyone would be saying get rid of him!

I have read that homerism is a philosophical sect of zero
which provides a branch of belief structures which can lead
to the direct experience of zero..

homerism is relative ; beerman is a great example, nola no collage , archie and duece would be considered on the outer edge ( within 500 miles) even harper from ala ; people have a pull for themselves first ;and thier neighbors next . bret favre is a good example .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom