Why does it seem like NBA all-star>>>>NFL Pro-Bowl? (1 Viewer)

yotd576

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
There is like a Superbowl atmosphere in town because of the NBA All-Star game. Previous years, there's been a lot of hoopla surrounding this event. As for the Pro-Bowl, there seems like not many are interested to watching the All-Star game full of players to, in my opinion, the most popular sport in America.

well basketball all-star game most everyone invited plays...it's in the middle of the seaon, unlike the NFL which is after the superbowl, half the player don't play, the others just use it as a vacation to Hawaii.... most of them haven't played a game in over a month if there team didnt make playoffs so they arent in football shape cause they have been partying since thier season ended....NBA all-star game is a much bigger deal for thier sport, they have celebrity game, rookie-sophmore game...and most importantly it's always somewhere in the 1st 48...where as the pro-bowl is in hawaii...

Let's not forget the greater potential for getting hurt in the Probowl. Keep in mind that footbal players are probably nursing some injuries from the season just past.
I'm not saying that basketball players don't get hurt, but the game is a bit less physical overall.

I think the biggest and most important reason is that the NBA league office and the players just take their All-Star game much more seriously than the NFL does. They care, so we do too.

The NBA is a player-driven league. The NFL is a team-driven league.

I think the part of it that the NBA has right is that there's really more focus on these skills competitions than on the actual All Star game. It's tougher for the NFL to do that because people would rather watch a slam dunk contest than a long fieldgoal shootout, but I'd like to see the NFL move more in that direction. Tweak the voting so that players and coaches have more say on who gets voted to the Pro Bowl and make it primarily a couple skills competitions and scale back - if not totally cancel - the actual game, because it's really pretty useless.

It is a team driven sport. I would wager to guess that if you put together an All-Star NFL team, and pitted them against a team like the Saints, for example, playing normal game rules, the Saints would probably tear them up. There's too much advantage to a team that's been playing together.

The other thing is that the NFL is dumbed down in order to prevent injuries. And injuries are a very real thing. I suppose someone could get hurt in the All-Star game, but it's just not likely. Putting a bunch of guys on an NFL field that have never played together is an invitation to disaster.

Consequently, a lot of the game is played more or less at half-speed. It's just not a real game, and it never will be.

Well, if it were in the middle of the season, I think more people would be interested. The Pro Bowl is played after the season is over and for some reason, I could care less about it.

Football is great because there are only 16 regular season games. Each game matters much more than in the NBA season. So you are used to watching football when it matters. To watch one that doesn't matter is just crappy.

In basketball, an 82 games season and a 7 game playoff series, we're used to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom