Why does the DHS need hollow point bullets? (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
I keep hearing about these huge purchases of hollow point ammunition by the Department of Homeland Security.

Is there a reason for this?

I keep hearing about these huge purchases of hollow point ammunition by the Department of Homeland Security.

Is there a reason for this?

First, it's not as huge as people keep saying. The contract stating that the DHS is buying 1.6 billion rounds is simply that they have the ability, over the 5 years of the contract, to buy that many. That is a lot of bullets. But the DHS is a huge department with many agents who carry guns. Each one of those agents has to be continuously train with their firearm as well as requalify ever quarter.

There are over 70,000 agents in the DHS who carry guns. That's a lot of bullets simply for target range purposes. The purchase contract also includes the department of immigration and customs.

Homeland Security Explains Plan To Purchase More Than 1.6 Billion Bullets: Buying In Bulk Is Cheaper

Dixon said one of the contracts would allow Homeland Security to buy up to 750 million rounds of ammunition over the next five years for its training facilities. The rounds are used for basic and advanced law enforcement training for federal law enforcement agencies under the department's umbrella. The facilities also offer firearms training to tens of thousands of federal law enforcement officers. More than 90 federal agencies and 70,000 agents and officers used the department's training center last year.

The rest of the 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition would be purchased by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the federal government's second largest criminal investigative agency.

As for why they are hollow point...it's the same reason homeowners buy hollow point. So they don't over penetrate a target, the wall behind them, and hit an innocent. Hollow points are much less likely to go through a wall and kill someone on the other side.

First, it's not as huge as people keep saying. The contract stating that the DHS is buying 1.6 billion rounds is simply that they have the ability, over the 5 years of the contract, to buy that many. That is a lot of bullets. But the DHS is a huge department with many agents who carry guns. Each one of those agents has to be continuously train with their firearm as well as requalify ever quarter.

There are over 70,000 agents in the DHS who carry guns. That's a lot of bullets simply for target range purposes. The purchase contract also includes the department of immigration and customs.

Homeland Security Explains Plan To Purchase More Than 1.6 Billion Bullets: Buying In Bulk Is Cheaper

As for why they are hollow point...it's the same reason homeowners buy hollow point. So they don't over penetrate a target, the wall behind them, and hit an innocent. Hollow points are much less likely to go through a wall and kill someone on the other side.

No way! It's a conspiracy maaaan. The goverment is going to kick in our doors and take our 2-liter sodas.

I really think it was an attempt to remove bullets and materials from the market until they could pass restrictive laws and taxes on ammo. The administration underestimated the fight they'd get from the pro-gun side. Thesehuge purchases did help create a shortage of bullets and greatly drove up the price.

Every one of the 70,000 agents would have to shoot 13 rounds every day for five years to go through that many rounds. If most of these rounds are for training purposes conducted at training facilities, there is no need to be concerned with bullets going through walls. Target rounds are used for this purpose and are much cheaper.

FYI, I am not part of the conspiracy theory claiming that the government is planning something. I am just pointing out a couple of things.

I wonder how many are hollow point and how many are not. I think that would interesting. I don't know what to think about the bulk buying. I understand the reasoning for saving money by buying in bulk, but 1.6 billion rounds sounds awfully high. Do they really need and go though that many every year?

I really think it was an attempt to remove bullets and materials from the market until they could pass restrictive laws and taxes on ammo. The administration underestimated the fight they'd get from the pro-gun side. Thesehuge purchases did help create a shortage of bullets and greatly drove up the price.

Paranoid delusions are fun. I'd suggest that the bullet manufacturers are more likely to fan the flames of fear in the gun community in order to drive up prices for themselves than some concerted effort by "government" to drive prices and create shortages.

My opinion is pretty well supported by the fact that there are shortages of small caliber light rounds and even light shotgun loads wouldn't you say?

Every one of the 70,000 agents would have to shoot 13 rounds every day for five years to go through that many rounds. If most of these rounds are for training purposes conducted at training facilities, there is no need to be concerned with bullets going through walls. Target rounds are used for this purpose and are much cheaper.

FYI, I am not part of the conspiracy theory claiming that the government is planning something. I am just pointing out a couple of things.

Again, this isn't a purchase that has already been made -- it's a contract for purchases for the next five years.

And not all of the 1.6 billion are hollow points, so that number includes training rounds (and ammunition for every firearm the DHS uses, including long guns).

Again, this isn't a purchase that has already been made -- it's a contract for purchases for the next five years.

And not all of the 1.6 billion are hollow points, so that number includes training rounds (and ammunition for every firearm the DHS uses, including long guns).

Do not bring facts in here. Obama wants to take away my bullets and guns and freedom!!!!!!!!

Call it what you will, all the sources I buy ammo from are being told by their sellers that multiple things are happening to dry up the ammo. It is somewhat unusual for all the various departments to be buying and using more ammo then they normally would in the past. All I know is, its oddly coincidental that the administration is making a highly concerted effort to block importation of ammunition and weapons, enact new laws and restrictions, and ammo is in very short supply.

Its not like we haven't had mass shootings and legislation proposals in the past. ammo was always cheap and abundant then, but not so much these days...

The only other time I can think of where significant price increases and supply where bothersome was at the onset of the "wars" in the middle east.

Just my observances.

I know when I go to the range, I shoot about 100 rounds, so it's believable. They probably shoot more.

Call it what you will, all the sources I buy ammo from are being told by their sellers that multiple things are happening to dry up the ammo. It is somewhat unusual for all the various departments to be buying and using more ammo then they normally would in the past. All I know is, its oddly coincidental that the administration is making a highly concerted effort to block importation of ammunition and weapons, enact new laws and restrictions, and ammo is in very short supply.

Its not like we haven't had mass shootings and legislation proposals in the past. ammo was always cheap and abundant then, but not so much these days...

The only other time I can think of where significant price increases and supply where bothersome was at the onset of the "wars" in the middle east.

Just my observances.

Sellers of a product have no incentive to make their product seem highly desirable and harder to get.

Sellers really hate when the cost of making their product stays the same, but they're able to increase the demand for the product enough to the point they can raise their prices by as high as 300% and still get backorders.

So there is no reason for them to be fanning the flames of paranoids who are "just asking questions" and making "observances"?

Ammo has been increasing in price since before Obama took office. Not because of any change in supply or practice, but because nuts and gun organizations keep saying that he is going to take all the guns. Which causes panic, which causes panic buying. Then it turns out Obama does nothing. So prices go back down a little. Then those nuts and gun organizations spread another rumor that Obama is coming to take all the guns. And all little lemmings go into a panic again and start panic buying. Repeat ad nauseum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom