Why doesn’t anyone believe in Davenport? (1 Viewer)

If you cherry pick, you can look like a good player. The problem is that he hasn't been consistent and has been injury prone his first two seasons. He definitely has potential. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make the most of a weird offseason such as this one...which has guarded my expectations a bit.
I don't think you have to "cherry pick" at all. Availability is a valid argument. Otherwise, he has been very good.

I love davenport but I’m a big supporter of griffen because of injuries and griffen can also kick inside and provide some rush. If davenport, cam, or rankins get injured we are in deep trouble
If Michael Thomas or lattimore go down, we are worse off. The one play lattimore goes out vs falcons, Julio's gets in endzine

His latest injury is not a turf toe i jury, but a Lisfranc injury.

Also what is your belief in “ability”. If he ends up being a 7-8 sack a year kind of guy at this point I will be pleased. In my opinion he is going to stay in that 4-6 range with some anomalies. Not a top 10 DE in the league even at his best, definitley not worth that trade up at all. The tape shows a player who doesn't win consistently in single situations and is neutralised with doubles for the game.

I really want to believe but the number, tape and injury report say different.

I don't think you have to "cherry pick" at all. Availability is a valid argument. Otherwise, he has been very good.

There have been games that he has been good. But he's not there yet. There are still plenty of games that he disappears as a pass rusher. He has actually been more consistent against the run. Even if he would have been healthy all 16 games last year, he wouldn't have been a pro bowler.

He actually reminds me quite a bit of Akiem Hicks. Hicks turned into one of the better DT's in the NFL. Davenport could get there, but he's not there yet (just as Hicks wasn't there as a Saint).

There have been games that he has been good. But he's not there yet. There are still plenty of games that he disappears as a pass rusher. He has actually been more consistent against the run. Even if he would have been healthy all 16 games last year, he wouldn't have been a pro bowler.

He actually reminds me quite a bit of Akiem Hicks. Hicks turned into one of the better DT's in the NFL. Davenport could get there, but he's not there yet (just as Hicks wasn't there as a Saint).
He’s not where yet? Elite? Of course not. That’s not what any of us are saying. We’re saying he’s been pretty good when healthy. That’s a fact and you don’t have to cherry pick to see that.

He’s not where yet? Elite? Of course not. That’s not what any of us are saying. We’re saying he’s been pretty good when healthy. That’s a fact and you don’t have to cherry pick to see that.

I guess that we just have differing opinions on terminology. Initially you said that he was "very good". I disagree. A very good player is a guy who is a pro bowl caliber player. Davenport hasn't been a pro bowl caliber player. Now you are saying "pretty good". I completely agree with that terminology. He's solid-to-good when healthy. But "very good"? I think of guys like Demario Davis and Marshon Lattimore as "very good"...and I just don't think that Davenport is on that level (even when healthy). Cam Jordan is exception/elite, and Davenport is not even close to that tier of production.

Sorry if already posted somewhere. Does anyone even know Davenport current status? Has he recovered? Ready for camp? In shape? Working out? Anything?

Same with Anzalone. He is very to extremely good when healthy... but he isn't healthy too much of the time.

This could be Davenport's last season to prove he can stay healthy. It is definitely Thor's last season to prove he can stay off IR.

I believe in him and think he will eventually be one of the better 4-3 defensive ends in the NFL. He just needs to stay healthy and get used to playing against the best in the NFL. He came from a small school and was more of a stand up pass rusher. He was kind of learning the position really. He has the talent for sure. His first two years were WAY better than Everson Griffen’s first two years.

Trey Hendrickson had somewhat of a break out year with 4.5 sacks, so I like him as a 3rd end. He had a good bit of playing time and hopefully can improve on those numbers. Mario Edwards had 3 sacks, but not sure if they came from DE or DT. Carl Granderson had a sack in 8 games, so he could possibly improve on those numbers if he gets the playing time. We added Margus Hunt who had 5 sacks the year before last, so maybe we get some production from him as well.

I think we are good on the defensive line as a whole

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom