Why doesn’t anyone believe in Davenport? (1 Viewer)

I’ve recently rewatched the Houston and Seattle games from last year. The man is all over the place.

If you were to watch him and assume he was an All-Pro, you wouldn’t be surprised.

He broke up screens, had TFL, took on like 10 double teams a game.

Marcus is absolutely going to be a great player in this league if he stays healthy. (So if this is your reason, okay. Fair.)

But all of the Everson Griffin talk lately...I don’t want him to take snaps from MD. I’m 100% serious about that. I think he’s going to really break out this year.

Because we traded up to get him. Many fans here are notoriously negative about players taken in the first round who aren't superstars immediately.

Because we traded up to get him. Many fans here are notoriously negative about players taken in the first round who aren't superstars immediately.
It's the trade up and injury history, more so than the first round status in my opinion. As great as Cam is, he wasn't a star the first couple of years. Every time Davenport starts trending upward he has gotten injured.

has not shown the ability to recover from less, so I think the Lisfranc takes him to the wanderer looking for a place to land as an ex first rounder. Not much to believe in other than workout numbers. I have doubts that he will ever tough out an injury as painful as a Lisfranc which will rob him of his biggest physical advantage which is his speed. Head and heart are question to me, but he has the physical profile covered. Somebody give him a competition infusion then I will start to believe. Right now, I doubt he would get a fifth year option based on past.

I guess that we just have differing opinions on terminology. Initially you said that he was "very good". I disagree. A very good player is a guy who is a pro bowl caliber player. Davenport hasn't been a pro bowl caliber player. Now you are saying "pretty good". I completely agree with that terminology. He's solid-to-good when healthy. But "very good"? I think of guys like Demario Davis and Marshon Lattimore as "very good"...and I just don't think that Davenport is on that level (even when healthy). Cam Jordan is exception/elite, and Davenport is not even close to that tier of production.
Lattimore is on the cusp of being an elite CB. That’s at least a whole step above “very good”. Davenport is definitely not at the level of Latimore. But he’s played very well when healthy. “When healthy” is the key there because I think he’s ”come back” after injury but not been 100% and only played okay. But he had played on another level before being injured. Bottom line is, if he can stay healthy, he is very good.

People think HE has to "live up to" the Saints giving up two first round picks for him. Its like dating a woman with high expectations, you were doomed from the beginning,

Insulting Other Member(s)
I’ve recently rewatched the Houston and Seattle games from last year. The man is all over the place.

If you were to watch him and assume he was an All-Pro, you wouldn’t be surprised.

He broke up screens, had TFL, took on like 10 double teams a game.

Marcus is absolutely going to be a great player in this league if he stays healthy. (So if this is your reason, okay. Fair.)

But all of the Everson Griffin talk lately...I don’t want him to take snaps from MD. I’m 100% serious about that. I think he’s going to really break out this year.
Look Davenport is an absolute stud. A real problem for offenses. And yes health has been an issues and the only thing holding him back. When he’s on the field he makes an unmistakeable impact. I expect him to have a breakout season.

And for the record, the [mod edit] that are critical of Dav is because The team traded up to get him

Last edited by a moderator:
You know some of this injury stuff could be on him if he does not stay in great physical shape. To make it through a 5-6 month season (including preseason requires an athlete has to stay in tip top shape). Being out of shape/overweight at any point before or during the season can lead to poor technique which can cause injury. Its a commitment the athlete needs to take seriously. It causes your technique to suffer because of fatigue. Just remember if or when you have been exercising or playing a physical sport how being physically tired caused a breakdown in technique. That is when the body is most vulnerable to a non contact injury. It may be his immaturity has caused him to think his natural abilities can compensate for a lack of conditioning. He went to a small school that only played a 12 game schedule. UTSA was not in the playoffs. He was also head and shoulders more physically gifted than his competition. The rigors of an NFL schedule and competition demand much better conditioning than he needed at UTSA.

Look Davenport is an absolute stud. A real problem for offenses. And yes health has been an issues and the only thing holding him back. When he’s on the field he makes an unmistakeable impact. I expect him to have a breakout season.

And for the record, the mouth breathers that are critical of Dav is because The team traded up to get him

The criticism that Davenport has received is justified and has nothing to do with draft compensation. If he was as good as some people make out, people wouldn't care about the two first. It's only relevant because he has been injury prone and has rarely been a difference maker when healthy. Nobody on here is disagreeing that Davenport isn't a solid player. But I can't help to chuckle at the comments trying to convince the masses that he is a great player.

Baring injuries, Davenport was worth one 1st round draft pick.

I think the way he has to play to be effective creates frustrating limitations that should not be there. At the snap he has to take a step back before he starts going past the line of scrimmage. Makes him the last one off the ball every snap. When he trys to do it in a proper technique he has no explosion or adequate play strength makes him kinda pedestrian. I think he is stuck in that flawed technique the way he has to play. And is always gonna limit him.

Davenport was extremely raw coming in with a lot invested in him. I think we all mostly thought it would be year 3 when the light bulb really came on for him. Dealing with injuries his first two seasons has probably slowed his growth somewhat, and it’s a concern how he will come back from the foot injury this season. It could be mid-season before he is fully healed and as explosive as he needs to be to take that next step. Hopefully he makes a miraculous and quick comeback. I still think he’s got the tools to be elite, and has shown he can be very good, but it’s going to take a little luck and a lot of work on his part to truly reach his full potential.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom