Why doesn’t anyone believe in Davenport? (5 Viewers)

Gil's critique above is a major concern. And it has been noted by others.

When the team took the draft picks gamble that they took to bring him in, some fans are prone to getting ancy when he isn't the (insert some year from the mid to late 80s) version of Lawrence Taylor.

I wasn't around any forums in the Ricky Williams years.......but I can imagine many had similar angst back then over what was given up to acquire him.

I think a lot of people believe in him. But we have been burned by good players who can't stay healthy too many times. Way too many times.
That said, Davenport has been VERY good when healthy and has all the potential to be a perennial pro bowl type of player. But man....it's time. He needs a healthy season and then I think we will all be very happy with him.

I believe in him and think he will eventually be one of the better 4-3 defensive ends in the NFL. He just needs to stay healthy and get used to playing against the best in the NFL. He came from a small school and was more of a stand up pass rusher. He was kind of learning the position really. He has the talent for sure. His first two years were WAY better than Everson Griffen’s first two years.

Trey Hendrickson had somewhat of a break out year with 4.5 sacks, so I like him as a 3rd end. He had a good bit of playing time and hopefully can improve on those numbers. Mario Edwards had 3 sacks, but not sure if they came from DE or DT. Carl Granderson had a sack in 8 games, so he could possibly improve on those numbers if he gets the playing time. We added Margus Hunt who had 5 sacks the year before last, so maybe we get some production from him as well.

I think we are good on the defensive line as a whole

Trey Hendrickson doesn’t provide the all around talent that Davenport or Griffin have. They ran the ball right to his side in the Vikings playoff game and he couldn’t stop it. He’s a good situational pass rusher due to his motor.

If we could rely on Rankins and Davenport to play the entire year, then the Saints would be fine. But history shows that one of these guys will probably not be there down the stretch and relying on one of our depth guys as a starter at the end of the year hinders the chances of a SuperBowl. Griffin is premium depth for that type of situation.

Rankins should be good this year. The fact he played as much as he did last year was surprising. He had some moments, but I don’t think less than a year off achillies surgery anyone was expecting all pro level of play. Now with Davenport, when he plays you see the talent and skill. You could also see how the Saints were trying to coach him into being an all around DE rather than just a simple pass rusher. But, kinda like Ingram his first few years it’s irritating because he is injured so often, and hasn’t completely developed. He’s not like Armstead who gets injured but when on the field is one of the best in the game. Davenport has that potential. But he’s not there yet.

I challenge someone to make a poll:

Ask if you could re-do the draft, and use two first round picks on Davenport, would you do it? Sadly, you would be surprised of how many would answer no...If the poll was anonymous

Would I have drafted Davenport with our first? Probably. Would I have given up an extra 1st round pick of the folLowing year? absoutely not...Unless I’m getting Prime Mack, Miller, DonAld on a rookies contract

#92 will be a hot seller soon..
I'm banking on his overall untapped ceiling.
I'm confident this is the year he put's it all together.

Speed-✔
Agility-✔
Power-✔✔
Awareness-✔
Rush arsenal-✔
Tenacity- ??
Health-needs rabbit foot for earring.

#92 Is on the verge of breaking through making the trade for him shine

#92 will be a hot seller soon..
I'm banking on his overall untapped ceiling.
I'm confident this is the year he put's it all together.

Speed-✔
Agility-✔
Power-✔✔
Awareness-✔
Rush arsenal-✔
Tenacity- ??
Health-needs rabbit foot for earring.

#92 Is on the verge of breaking through making the trade for him shine

I like your optimism, and you may be right. He has to show us something this year, and I hope he does. If Dav doesn't stay healthy this year, it's time to move on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom