Why doesn't Bush return kickoffs? (1 Viewer)

CajunSaint08

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Can someone explain why Bush is not the kickoff returner also? I assume that everyone agrees that Bush does exceptionally well in "open" space. One of Bush's problems on punt returns is that he is trying to peek at the incoming defensive players so he can prepare to make a move when he catches the ball. This sometimes causes his lack of concentration on catching the ball or putting it away properly after the catch.

But on a kickoff return, he would not have the problem of getting hit immediately upon catching the ball, giving him more time to concentrate on the catch and then run.

So my question is why don't the Saint's use him on kickoffs instead of punts or at least on both?

Geaux Saints!!!

From nola.com:

WDSU's Fletcher Mackel wonders once again why the Saints won't let Reggie Bush return kickoffs. ... The answer to that question has always been injury risk. And Bush needs to clean up his fumbling problem, too. But I wonder if the Saints wouldn't try it down the stretch if they make a playoff run this year. They'd like to maximize Bush's value as best they can on offense and special teams.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/what_others_are_saying_about_t_35.html

KR is a tough job. It's alot tougher than people think. People are hitting you harder and faster than on any other play during the game. We need him in the backfield and in the slot/wide out to be a playmaker.

I admit, if he keeps struggling (and im the last person to down him, hes my 2nd favorite player behind drew) they might just have him doing KR and PR, and possibly try to restructure his contract.

Anyhow, that is what I think. What peyton thinks in a whole diffrent story. I think he is still too valuable to put in at KR and get seriously injured.

saying he is too valueable for kickoffs, doesn't make cense when he is still in on punt returns, you get blindsided more often on punt returns,.....to me if you (we) think he is too valueable to return kicks, he shouldnt be retuning punts....that being said, i think coach p knows a little bit more about football then me, and he is doing a pretty good job, imo......have a great day, thanks for reading my pointless post.....

I think the hardest hits I have ever seen in the NFL have been on punt returns...injury risk is just blah...btw I have been asking the same question since 07...maybe even 06. Never would you get more space than on a kickoff return. it really makes no sense.

The key to returning kickoffs is to immediately run directly up the field as fast as you can. Therefore Reggie is not qualified.

I just asked the same question in another thread. Use him to his strengths.

I think Reggie would be scary at KR, but most teams don't want to use one of their primary weapons on offense on special teams more than they have too. Look at Devin Hester, since emerging as a go to receiver in Chicago's offense, he doesn't take KR duties anymore, leaving that up to Danieal Manning.

I think Reggie would be scary at KR, but most teams don't want to use one of their primary weapons on offense on special teams more than they have too. Look at Devin Hester, since emerging as a go to receiver in Chicago's offense, he doesn't take KR duties anymore, leaving that up to Danieal Manning.

But this year the Saints have so many weapons on offence, that every player will not get the full touches that they would on other teams do to our depth.

I would also use Thomas on kick returns and Bell on Special Teams also.

saying he is too valueable for kickoffs, doesn't make cense when he is still in on punt returns, you get blindsided more often on punt returns,.....to me if you (we) think he is too valueable to return kicks, he shouldnt be retuning punts....that being said, i think coach p knows a little bit more about football then me, and he is doing a pretty good job, imo......have a great day, thanks for reading my pointless post.....

I have to disagree. You get hit much much harder when returning kicks, than punts. You can also faircatch a punt outside of the endzone. Kickoffs are diffrent. The opponent gets 70 yards worth of speed, where as on a punt return they get maybe 30-40 yards to get momentum, and then have to slow down so they don't miss you too bad.

It is what it is, getting hit sucks on KR and PR. Either way, he is much less likely to get hurt IMO on PR than KR.

It's a different animal than punt returns. For one the players running you down are sometimes unimpeded. That's why you get some of the biggest hits in a game on hits on a defender flashing through having running at near full speed untouched and the carrier can't react in time.

Personally, I don't consider Reggie fragile. But that doesn't mean the people in the know do that also.

I'd like to see him do it every once in a while just like sending him deep.

KR are far more dangerous and have a smaller chance of breaking one long. Also they outlawed the wedge this year so it is especially dangerous now. Risk/reward just isn't worth it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom