Why dont the saints sign someone like Shaq to block kicks (1 Viewer)

ChopperSaint

Official gum of champions
Reaction score
Find the tallest 7' 2" ex college basketball player with great leaping ability and put him in the middle of the line for every kick.

someone who can get in the air with the tip of his fingers at least 12.5 feet.

This would force the kicker to put more loft on his kicks forcing a shorter kick.z

Even the kicks that dont get blocked you would think it would mess with the kickers mind and give him another thing to thing about when hes out there kicking.

It's actually been done before. Hank Stram drafted 6'10 Morris Stroud for the sole purpose of blocking kicks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Stroud

Rosters spots are very valuable though. I doubt any team would use one on a player that only specializes in that one area.

how about Plasticman? have we put any real thought into signing Plasticman?

stretch-armstrong-ng-1.jpg

just because other teams can execute blocked xtra pts and field goals doesn't mean if we have a giant we could execute a block

It's actually been done before. Hank Stram drafted 6'10 Morris Stroud for the sole purpose of blocking kicks.

Rosters spots are very valuable though. I doubt any team would use one on a player that only specializes in that one area.

I remember Morris Stroud. According to the link the NFL adopted a rule to prevent goaltending on placekicks, which I didn't remember. He was drafted by Hank Stram in the third! round as a TE even though he had almost zero football experience. :scratch: Imagine trying to guard a 6'10" TE. :omg2:

Here's why.

Because a player that is 7'2 either lacks any sort of athletic ability or he is getting paid so much more in the NBA than he could ever be paid in the NFL.

Now, why NFL teams dont find a guy that is in that 6'10 range, athletic and a below average NBA player to come in and block kicks as well as play redzone snaps is beyond me. Have the guy go post up in the endzone and a TD pass becomes as easy as an entry pass is in basketball. Pretty much the same rules defending it.

If we sign two midgets, one could sit on the others shoulders. And, if we get them to wear a long trench coat, we might be able get the refs to think it's one player.

I'm thinking so far outside the box on this one that I'm in another box. And that box is named "watts is a moron".

Find the tallest 7' 2" ex college basketball player with great leaping ability and put him in the middle of the line for every kick.

This would force the kicker to put more loft on his kicks forcing a shorter kick.z

Even the kicks that dont get blocked you would think it would mess with the kickers mind and give him another thing to thing about when hes out there kicking.

I think all 7' 2" ex college basketball players are about the same height.

I think all 7' 2" ex college basketball players are about the same height.

No way. There are plenty 7'2" guys sitting on their couches who are taller than other 7'2" guys on their couches. It's all about the couch. Now if we were talking about recliners, that'd be a different story.

You are absolutely right, and the teams already do that. They put their best kick blockers the middle. A lot of DB's and even a few DL can get 2 feet above the rim.

You are absolutely right, and the teams already do that. They put their best kick blockers the middle. A lot of DB's and even a few DL can get 2 feet above the rim.

"A lot" of DBs can't get 2 feet above the rim, I'd actually bet that number is at the ~10 range... DBs are generally 6'0" so if they have an 8'0" standing reach they'd have to have a 48 inch vertical to touch 12'

The high at a combine for Vertical Leap is 46" by Gerald Sensabaugh.

Just wanted to point out how rare touching 12' is

I told my buddy this years ago. It's so valuable, it costs us at least three games this year. I'd sign Gheorghe muresan, I think he was 7'6" At worse he would get into kickers head. It'll be like trying to kick around a damn tree. With kickers, 90% of it is a mental game.

"A lot" of DBs can't get 2 feet above the rim, I'd actually bet that number is at the ~10 range... DBs are generally 6'0" so if they have an 8'0" standing reach they'd have to have a 48 inch vertical to touch 12'

The high at a combine for Vertical Leap is 46" by Gerald Sensabaugh.

Just wanted to point out how rare touching 12' is

You may be right, but the numbers were not really my point. My point is, coaches all use their best leapers in the middle. I don't think they will sacrifice a roster spot for someone who can jump 6" higher than some of their team members.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom