Why don't we get Fox's HD signal on Cox? (1 Viewer)

jerryrip

Bleeding black and gold
Reaction score
I've got digital cable and a high-def tv now, but I don't understand this idiotic situation with Cox. There's no way to get the Fox sports programming in high-def in this area. Hasn't anyone noticed this and written Cox or WVUE about this? It's outrageous. Over half of the saints games and all of the major bowl games are on Fox!

Off air signals are available if you have a buiting tuner on your hdtv. The other option is to get directv. Cox has to negotiate in every market to carry the local Hd/Digital signal. Negotiations take a very long time and the customers suffer. The individual televison studios had to spend a large amount of money upgrading to an HD signal so they want to pass those expenses along to cox and then to the customer. For example... cox in baton rouge has had Foxhd since before the storm.... whats that tell you!!! Cox wants to carry the signal but maybe WVUE is asking to much...

Off air signals are available if you have a buiting tuner on your hdtv. The other option is to get directv. Cox has to negotiate in every market to carry the local Hd/Digital signal. Negotiations take a very long time and the customers suffer. The individual televison studios had to spend a large amount of money upgrading to an HD signal so they want to pass those expenses along to cox and then to the customer. For example... cox in baton rouge has had Foxhd since before the storm.... whats that tell you!!! Cox wants to carry the signal but maybe WVUE is asking to much...

Great explanation....just to add to it:

It also has to do with the fact that WVUE is up for sell right now, but last time I checked Emmis had no buyers. That's a lot of money invested in a station with no true owner. The next owner may not be ready to pick up that tab just yet: (kinda like the Cubs *sigh*).

Cox WANTS to carry the signal once the situation stabilizes with WVUE. FOX 8 is the one you should have a gripe with, not Cox.

Last edited:
From what I've read, there are no negotiations until the station is first sold, so we are up the creek on this one.

DirecTV is actually considered HD Lite because of all the compression done to the video. ;)

That was before the latest upgrade. The new sat carries full-res mpeg-4. Looks really nice.

Your local FOX station may be carried in HD on DTV , but is it WVUE FOX 8? I highly doubt it. I'm just guessing, but it probably isn't the FOX affiliate (WVUE) in New Orleans.

you would be wrong also, directv carries all 4 of the local new orleans channels in hd

I've got digital cable and a high-def tv now, but I don't understand this idiotic situation with Cox. There's no way to get the Fox sports programming in high-def in this area. Hasn't anyone noticed this and written Cox or WVUE about this? It's outrageous. Over half of the saints games and all of the major bowl games are on Fox!

jerry, try getting some rabbit ear antenna and plug it directly into your tv, which probably has a built in tuner if it was bought recently, you should be able to pick up all the locals over the air.

I put an outdoor antenna in my attic and pick up everything great, but you should be fine with rabbit ears, you might have to tweak it a little bit so you get all the stations without having to move the ears. good luck

Yeah, I've since gotten my rooftop antenna reconnected and the picture looks just fine. It's still aggravating that everyone else I talk to around the country can get Fox HD, but not us. Typical New Orleans BS.

it is absolutely infuriating considering I bought a plasma to watch the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom