Why Drew throw that second pick vs SD (1 Viewer)

booya

All-Pro
Reaction score
I really wondered during the game why Drew throw such a bad pass to an open MT. Thanks to a different camera angle did I saw this.

Reason: Peat has big feets.

U9wAutL.gif

nice find. i didn't see that.

peat needs to get some power.

I don't believe its an power issue. Peat is big guy.
It's a normal and standard technique to take on the DE and keep give up ground little by little.
That way do you avoid to be fooled by counter techniques.

He just needs to polish his technique a bit more.... and that will only come
with playing time.

Once he has more confidence in his play will he hold his ground longer.
We will learn from that play!

I really wondered during the game why Drew throw such a bad pass to an open MT. Thanks to a different camera angle did I saw this.

Reason: Peat has big feets.

U9wAutL.gif

Moments after Drew Brees threw his second interception of Sunday's win over the San Diego Chargers, he headed straight for rookie wide receiver Michael Thomas.

Thomas, the intended receiver on the ball Brees floated, had fallen victim to a Qualcomm Stadium quirk on the throw.

The sun beams in over the southwest corner of Qualcomm, right into the visiting sideline. When Brees floated the ball, Thomas lost the ball in the sun and fell down trying to make an adjustment, allowing the pass to float right into the waiting arms of San Diego safety Adrian Phillips.

"We talked about it on the sideline, and I told him, 'Listen, if we get another opportunity, I'm going to throw that ball more firm and low,'" Brees said.

AKA...he threw the ball where he wanted it. Had nothing to do with Peat's Feet.

What Drew Brees told Michael Thomas right before key Saints touchdown in 4th quarter | Saints | theadvocate.com

For a man that's Peat's size, he sure gets pushed back often.

I guess he plays too high, and defenders are getting under him.

You can see in the gif he doesn't sink his hips and leans over at the waist negating his leverage.

AKA...he threw the ball where he wanted it. Had nothing to do with Peat's Feet.

What Drew Brees told Michael Thomas right before key Saints touchdown in 4th quarter | Saints | theadvocate.com

You can see in the gif he doesn't sink his hips and leans over at the waist negating his leverage.

Thats the reason why MT didnt adjusted to the ball. .. but the Pass was clearly thrown off. And that is normal when a 300 pound man steps on the planting foot. You need this foot to stay on place so that you can bring in the power from the hip.
Drew is just drew and didnt want to points Fingers towards some body else

Thats the reason why MT didnt adjusted to the ball. .. but the Pass was clearly thrown off. And that is normal when a 300 pound man steps on the planting foot. You need this foot to stay on place so that you can bring in the power from the hip.
Drew is just drew and didnt want to points Fingers towards some body else

What part of he lofted it on purpose are u not getting? He didn't adjust to the ball because he couldn't see it and lost it in the light. Drew knowing this said he'd throw the ball lower and harder next time.

And he did, and resulted in a TD. Drew threw the ball high and to the left on purpose...it didn't get away from him, Peat didn't affect him at all. You are reaching. Its the adjustment by Thomas that caused it to be intercepted because he didn't make it to the landmark due to losing the ball and slipping yet Drew figured he could help him out next time by changing the location.

What part of he lofted it on purpose are u not getting? He didn't adjust to the ball because he couldn't see it and lost it in the light. Drew knowing this said he'd throw the ball lower and harder next time.

And he did, and resulted in a TD. Drew threw the ball high and to the left on purpose...it didn't get away from him, Peat didn't affect him at all. You are reaching. Its the adjustment by Thomas that caused it to be intercepted because he didn't make it to the landmark due to losing the ball and slipping yet Drew figured he could help him out next time by changing the location.

I just see a really bad pass by Drew based on that video. There may have been a communication issue on exactly what route MT should have run, it looks like he is expecting to almost do a hook route vs a slant towards the sideline. Regardless, if MT runs the route correctly, the best we could have hoped for was MT breaking up what was likely headed towards being intercepted.

Whatever the reason, the ball sailed on Drew. Harder and lower may not be the answer either as there was a linebacker underneath. It was a tight window. Lower and more outside (toward the sideline) looked like the best target area.

I just see a really bad pass by Drew based on that video. There may have been a communication issue on exactly what route MT should have run, it looks like he is expecting to almost do a hook route vs a slant towards the sideline. Regardless, if MT runs the route correctly, the best we could have hoped for was MT breaking up what was likely headed towards being intercepted.

If you watch that video again you'll see Peat being driven back into Brees and he steps on his plant foot and it effected his throw. Peat also came up too high in his stance and lost leverage on the defender.

That was not a normal Brees follow through. It was definitely affected by Peat being right on top of Drew. Watch Drew's right leg as he releases. Very awkward.

Its like some of y'all want it to be Brees's or Thomas's fault.

Yeah Brees probably wanted to throw it high but not like that. The ball needed to be a little more outside and a little lower. Thomas lost the ball in the sun but still that would have been a tough adjustment if you watch the play.

Also Brees's plant foot buckles a bit when he tries to follow through on the throw. Almost zero way his throw wasn't affected in some manner no matter where he was targeting

As far as Peat goes it wasn't terrible protection. I feel like sometimes people forget he is going against other NFL players too. Yeah he gave ground but he directed his guy 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimage to give drew a pocket to step up in. There is definitely a pocket there.

Regardless a couple things went wrong for 3 players against an NFL defense and they capitalized. Stuff happens in football and Brees understands that so he went to Thomas and said this is what we are gonna do next time. That's just not the kind of play you harp on in the film room.

I perfectly understood from your first post already why MT was unable to adjust to the ball.

But that is not the point why I opened the post.
You don't have to adjust to a well thrown ball as a receiver... you just keep running your route.

The only point I wanted to highlight is that this is the reason why Drew throw the pass in a way that forced MT to try to adjust to it.

MT was running a corner route and the nearest defender was over the top and on his inside shoulder.

If Drew would have delivered the ball more towards the sideline into MT's running lane and to his outside shoulder would this be a sure and easy catch.

But the ball sailed high and inside .... very unusual for Drew.
And the reason for that is that Peat stood on his plant foot.
A clean footwork is one of the keypoints of throwing a good ball.

But Drew is Drew and he would never seek for an apology by blaming others like "That pick was not on me cause somebody stepped on my foot"

Not defending Peat, but Brees did drift a little to his left and when he stepped up to plant his left foot, Peat was stepping back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom