Why everyone think Bengals will draft Joe Burrow? (1 Viewer)

Best friend is a lifelong Bengals fan. He says they are most definitely drafting Burrow.

The owner don’t care what the fans think/feel. Remember the Marvin Lewis situation? Fans wanted him gone..out but he ended up staying 3 extra years(maybe 4). So the fan base crying is nothing new and wouldn’t bother the owner.

I'm in Cincy a bit and have close relatives who have been long suffering fans and are season ticket holders. I can tell you that at least the rhetoric from Brown has changed. He's been more open about his failures and as old as he is, he's been talking more about 'legacy' and reflecting on regret. He's talked specifically about trying to draw fans back to the franchise.

Now, maybe this is all smoke and mirrors and he doesn't actually care. But his words and some of his more recent actions suggest that it's not quite the case. And I don't think it's fair to describe the fanbase as "crying" because the franchise has been so dysfunctional. In fact, I think they've largely been more patient and gracious than Brown has deserved. And I also think that there's a good chance that now the perceptions of the fanbase might well bother the owner.

Agreed. They’re a terrible organisation.

Made the playoffs 7 straight years in arguably the toughest division in the NFL. Yeah they went 0-7 in the playoffs, but there are they are more than a few organizations with a much worse track record.

Edit: And that was mostly with Ron Howard at QB. Now put a QB like what you think Burrow is going to turn into, onto those teams. Think they get the same results?

Edit2: Correction, it wasn't 7 straight years, but 6 out of 7 from 2009-2015. And this was with some stiff competition from the Steelers and the Ravens who were pretty darn good most of those years.

Last edited:
He’s from Ohio, they need a franchise QB, and their fan base would probably grab pitchforks if they don’t draft him or grab a huge haul in return for trading away the #1 pick.
Yes. And I also think this is how they sell seats. I cannot imagine anyone lifting ticket sales more, for the reasons you have listed. Great football and business decision.

Makes me sick. All of the talent to a loser org & team. ?

People are often critical of the Bengals around here but that franchise hasn't historically been a dumpster fire, and they've had moderate success even in recent years. Two trips to the Super Bowl in their history, and they most recently made the playoffs in 2015. It's been a long time since they won a playoff game, but if Burrow ends up there, he'd be joining a franchise with a much better history than the Saints had when Brees was brought in.

He’s from Ohio, they need a franchise QB, and their fan base would probably grab pitchforks if they don’t draft him or grab a huge haul in return for trading away the #1 pick.
Yes. And I also think this is how they sell seats. I cannot imagine anyone lifting ticket sales more, for the reasons you have listed. Great football and business decision.

This and this all day.

“Coming from southeast Ohio, it’s a very, very impoverished area. The poverty rate is almost two times the national average,” Burrow said. “There are so many people there that don’t have a lot, and I’m up here for all those kids in Athens and Athens County that go home to not a lot of food on the table, hungry after school. You guys can be up here, too.”

That little nugget of information spoken by "Mr. Ohio" during his Heisman speech, started a Facebook fundraiser and donations to the Athens food banks. They hoped to raise $1,000.

They currently are at $500,000.

That's the kind of impact Burrow had with a few spoken words. Now imagine the national college football champion, Joe Burrow, playing QB for the local home team. The impact he would have on and off the field is insane.

Cincinnati has put up with mediocre QB play from A.Dalton for almost a decade. Burrow will fill the stadium and bring new life into a slumping franchise. Buisness men understand this.

This is an easy choice for the Bengals.

Makes me sick. All of the talent to a loser org & team. ?

IKR! A buddy of mine is a huge LSU fan but pays very little attention if any to the NFL and he was talking about how Burrow is going to light up the NFL from the jump.

I told him....................................."If he doesn't get killed first"!!

He couldn't understand why I would say that and he mentioned Mahomes and Desaun Watson. I then explained to him the the Chiefs and Texans while not being particularly good teams when the drafted those two they weren't what you would call bad teams either.

It's going to take a whole lot more than just Joe Burrow to make the Bengals a better team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom