Why God may not be all powerful (1 Viewer)

I never said JP Deuce was the only Priest in all of Catholacism to aid the jews. That would be absurd.

Judge much?

Surely you can see how I could have misinterpreted what you said:

There was one priest in Poland, a man named Karol Josef Wojtyla
who, in direct defiance of the pope helped to hide and save the lives of many jews who would have been murdered by Hitler.

Just a misunderstanding. Sorry for the confusion.

These are my beliefs, Gods powers:

Miracles(he can perform miracles that are actually somewhat explainable, but not any that would actually prove of a higher being)
He also has the power to send his children to hell for not following his rules(I.E. for not going against logical thought and choosing to go behind science for your answers on life)

there is more but eh

I guess he has the power to save all those innocent children from being raped, but hey ya gotta pick and choose ya know.

Tomorrow's topic of discussion : Why the Earth may not be flat.

Can we also discuss the horrid punishments that accompany those who think the earth is not the center of the universe, at the very central point upon which all other celestial bodies rotate?

And still 2/3's of the world's religions are not Judeo-Christian and see things much differently than the politically formed and influenced Catholic (and subsequent Protestant) churches and religions.

http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/45.htm

This is a pretty good summary of that Bible passage. I'm not catholic (baptist), so I can't speak for them. But as a christian, I don't for a minute believe that the Pope has any more authority to speak for God than I do. The Pope is simply a priest in a church. God has no greater love or regard for him than he does for any man or woman who chooses to follow Him.

It seems obvious to me that the "keys" referenced are simply the "saving faith" exhibited by Peter when he acknowledged that Jesus was the Christ. That knowledge is the "key" to heaven. The loosening and binding are just descriptive terms of the day that described the results of "saving faith". That what Jesus taught on earth concerning Himself as Christ, forgiveness of sins and eternal life would be held true in Heaven. All the church has this commission of "loosening and binding" and we all have that same promise that it will be held true in Heaven.

You hit the nail on the head....very good descriptive and what I also believe to be the meaning of that verse....:9:

This is, as you note, Catholic dogma/tradition. It's not integral to a belief in (big G) God or Christianity itself. I refer you to any Protestant sect, Abyssinian Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Mormons, etc.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.
This is not just Catholic dogma,but Biblically true.
Go back and read Matthew 16:15-19. Jesus is basically commisioning Peter to be the head of the Christian church after Jesus' crucifixion.

Protestantism didn't even exist until the 1400/1500's. So, what form of Christianity was it that protected (from the pagans) and reproduced the bible for over a thousand years before Protestantism? Let me answer that,just in case you don't know....the Catholic church!!!

Looks like he did a pretty good job with that whole Inquisition and wink wink nod nod during the WWII. If the keys were passed to the Pope, sounds like every now and then the inmates run the asylum.

Plus I like how the rules change when ever the Pope feels like it. I thought The Word was The Word perfect and unfailing from the begining, if this is the case, WTH is with the Pope changing what is Right.
Evidently you didn't know that during WWII, the Pope harbored several hundred Jews in the Vatican for their safety

This is, as you note, Catholic dogma/tradition. It's not integral to a belief in (big G) God or Christianity itself. I refer you to any Protestant sect, Abyssinian Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox, Mormons, etc.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Maybe the fact that all organized religion is actually just a tool to control the masses is the reason why the entire theory behind God is flawed.

I always wondered, if the universe never ends, then how does something or someone that all powerful control something that never ends? How can God be bigger than a universe that is infinite? It doesn't make sense.:idunno:

Maybe the fact that all organized religion is actually just a tool to control the masses is the reason why the entire theory behind God is flawed.

I always wondered, if the universe never ends, then how does something or someone that all powerful control something that never ends? How can God be bigger than a universe that is infinite? It doesn't make sense.:idunno:

Neither point makes sense.

While the power that comes with being a religious figure has been abused throughout history, the idea that religion is about controlling people would probably come as news to the early Christians, for example, who in many cases gave up power, or at least legal standing, to join the religion.

And FWIW the universe is not infinite, although I fail to see the problem regarding God in relation to an infinite universe.

Neither point makes sense.

While the power that comes with being a religious figure has been abused throughout history, the idea that religion is about controlling people would probably come as news to the early Christians, for example, who in many cases gave up power, or at least legal standing, to join the religion.

And FWIW the universe is not infinite, although I fail to see the problem regarding God in relation to an infinite universe.

Umm, yeah, the universe is forever expanding, which means it never ends, it just continues.

I said religion is a tool to control the masses. I did not say religion is the only tool to control the masses.

Umm, yeah, the universe is forever expanding, which means it never ends, it just continues.

I said religion is a tool to control the masses. I did not say religion is the only tool to control the masses.
If the universe is forever expanding,how can it be infinite?:idunno:
If the universe were to be infinite,it would never have to expand.

I'm not going to get into this with everyone. I guess some of you didn't pay attention in school be it high school or college. Heck, watch the Discovery channel or National Geographic channel, and you people would know, there is no end to the universe. It goes on and on and on, as well as forever getting bigger and bigger and bigger. It's just like numbers, they never end and can always get bigger, that's as simple as I can put it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom